gearing for 20" tires

greasemonkey85

Oct 25, 2010
reading pa
was wondering what some of you are running for gearing with 20" tires.....

i just got mine all together and running and have 13/41 gearing and it is to tall. i have no grunt in the woods, and out in the field i'm luck if i can get wide open in 5th gear...... mostly only half throttle.

i am thinking about going to a 12/44, but wonders if that is to much.

just want to see what some of you guys are running, i have 60 acres of fields, and woods that i ride, and it is all on a mountain, so you go down into the field and up out of it.

any sprocket calculators out there????

y dont you just start out with a 12/41 because one tooth in the front equals 3 in the rear i wouldnt jump straight to a 12/44 also y dont you invest in 18's?

personaly i would want to know why my blaster couldn't pull any higher that 4th gear. sounds like your issue is power not gearing but if you just want to gear it a 12 would be fine. I ran 20's on mine before this build and it pulls all the way through 6th.

ok a short gearing 101. for more bottom end you either lower the size of your front sprocket or raise the size of your rear sprocket. and the oppisite for top end. but again your issue isn't gearing a blaster should pull just fine with 20" tires shnit it comes with 22". you either have tuning issues/ ie jetting or water in your fuel that is being sucked up at higher rpm, or low compression and in that case you would need a top end rebuild

I may need to change those because i just got bigger tires in the rear because the terrain i ride inwhere can i find the different gears

Based on scot's post i will wait until my build is done to make an changes just to see if there are any problems with what i have now

ok well first off 18's are for mx, not trail riding..... i could never get away with running 18's.

and second off the motor runs just fine, i just dont have the room to run wide open in 6th gear. for the most part i am in 4th gear wide open all the time, barely get into 5th gear. i know that one tooth in the front is 3 in the back, i m trying to keep my chain the same length. a $20 sprocket is cheaper then a $100 chain. i should be damn close by going witha 12/44 from a 13/41 cause my chain is now broke in and has to much slack for my liking.

i would start out just going with the 12T front or the 44T rear at one time. that's a huge jump.

^^^ sorry buddy didnt know you knew so much about it you didnt offer us any of you knowledge level you just asked for suggestions we gave them... run ur 12/44 if you want i just suggested that you tried 12/41 before you bought the 44 sprocket because you may not need it

rode plenty of trails with 18's. just don't want it to be a real rocky surface. why do you want to use all 6 gears? more shifting... seems like a pain in the butt to me. your gears are going to be short as hell man. with 12/44 you will be toping out at like 35mph

sorry about the harshness, just trying to solve my problem..... i guess i should say it isnt exactly trails lol..... it is more going through the woods.

maybe a 12/44 is to much, but in 4th wide open i have to be doing at least 40mph with 13/41. i dont mind switching gears, migth just buy a chain and run 12/44 up home, and if i go somehwere else i can throw on a 13/41 again

if you already have the 41 tooth rear i would order a 12 tooth front and see how that feels at 12-41, like previously stated 12-44 is looooooooooooow. personally i run a 14-40 and think its perfect for woods and open roads, for drag racing i plan on using a 13 front but just leaving the rear alone. changing one tooth up front equals changing 3 in the back so with that much adjustment in the front changing the back seems pointless on a stock motor.