Fuel issue?

02gsxxr

Jan 2, 2014
I have a 89 blaster and today went and rode it and 1-3 gear run fine when u get into 4th and hold WOT for a decent period of time it bogs down like I ran the bowl down dry it sputters and come to a stop wait and blip throttle and it runs fine again... Anyone have any issue like that...

Is the bowl running dry, have you checked it out?

Is the vent hose on the filler cap blocked?

If you crack open the float bowl drain screw does a steady stream of gas flow.

When was the last time the carb was cleaned?

nothing will fix it until you take it apart or adjust it get off the computer and do it lol sorry i just had to say that . :eek:

Is the bowl running dry, have you checked it out?

Is the vent hose on the filler cap blocked?

If you crack open the float bowl drain screw does a steady stream of gas flow.

When was the last time the carb was cleaned?

Carb rebuilt before I even rode today double checked the bowl height when I installed the carb.

I know fuel from petcock flows very freely... I can't remove bowl drain screw due to prior owner stripping out screw

I will check if vent is clogged I figure easiest way would be crack it and run it loose... Ridding it today I completely didn't think to try that...

Vice grips work wonders for stripped fuel bowl screws...
It does sound like a blockage/restirction, and I would strip carb for just in case something got it there too (even if fault was found elsewhere.)

Not the bowl screws... And turbo sockets work better...I was talking aboutthe fuel drain in order to test the actual fuel level and the vent tube seems to be fine I have a Spare gas tank I'll swap the cap and if not that ill have to double check the float height again at that point it's the only thing it can be

make sure both floats are in the same plane when you double check your float hight. if one is lower than the other, it will screw the flow into the bowl up.

It may help to check your reeds while you have the carb off.
Not first time the carb been off... I used the better of the two reeds I have. Neither was stuck or broken... When the carb was first put on after rebuild it had fuel leaking outta the Venturi after you shut it down so I figure I just have it set to low now... Cause as long as u don't run WOT for to long the machine runs great

AWK thank you but ialready have the service manual... I was curious to see if their was some oddball reasons for it running try.. I even have the digital caliper gauge... Really I think I had fuel set right but the needle got a little stuck so later today I am gonna bring the quad to the shop and look into it more

Mine ran fine last year at Awk's wild ride. On a freshly rebuilt motor that had only run two tanks of fuel threw it. Reeds looked good when they went in. At low RPM's it ran great once it got up into the higher RPM's it would hesitate and act like it wasn't getting proper spark or fuel. Once it quit on me a mile from camp the reed petal finally broke off and was never seen again.

AWK thank you but ialready have the service manual... I was curious to see if their was some oddball reasons for it running try.. I even have the digital caliper gauge... Really I think I had fuel set right but the needle got a little stuck so later today I am gonna bring the quad to the shop and look into it more

i had one that where the steel float tang rides against the 2 cast aluminum posts, (near the float pivot pin)
had grooves worn and the float would hang closed, i filed those grooves smooth and all was well.
something to look into ?

Mine ran fine last year at Awk's wild ride. On a freshly rebuilt motor that had only run two tanks of fuel threw it. Reeds looked good when they went in. At low RPM's it ran great once it got up into the higher RPM's it would hesitate and act like it wasn't getting proper spark or fuel. Once it quit on me a mile from camp the reed petal finally broke off and was never seen again.
Sounds like a completely different problem mine doesn't hesitate or anything

239m3m.jpg

Although not a Blaster float, I recently repaired the one in the above pic as it was jamming the float.

All set... Like I figured but until I had tools couldn't check anything the float height was to high and wasn't allowing enough fuel into the bowl and ran out... Orhwerwise it's back to running like it should...

Thanks BF for all the quick responses

Reactions: Awk08
All set... Like I figured but until I had tools couldn't check anything the float height was to high and wasn't allowing enough fuel into the bowl and ran out... Orhwerwise it's back to running like it should...

Thanks BF for all the quick responses

sweet, "liked" for reporting back with the solution