Fuel cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

sicivicdude

Apr 7, 2010
North Carolina
A fuel cell that mounts in the stock gas tank location. Holds about 1 gallon of fuel and will have a petcock attachment point on the bottom. .080 3003 aluminum sheet with .125 3003 aluminum sheet as the mounting brackets. In order to save weight and make it as strong as possible, the sides are cut so that they also form parts of the brackets.

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

When it's all done it will be a LITTLE lower than this, the petcock mounting bung isn't in place yet:

DSC00172.jpg

With the tank cover approximately (no bolts in it) in place showing the new cap:

DSC00173.jpg

Looks good!! Did you pressure test it?

Not yet. The 1" round rod for the petcock mount is going to be tapped 1/4NPT.

Right now, the only thing there is a pressure relief hole so I can't cap it. Besides, the cap that belongs on it is vented so a real pressure test isn't necessary. I will probably be "pressure testing" this tank to about 5psi or so just to prove that it will hold up.

The majority of the stress on this tank won't be from the "pressure" on the tank but from bouncing/vibrations from the runs themselves.

Not to Sound Stupid , But why is it you Made a Custom Cell for the Blasty ?

Drag blaster. The stock fuel tank with less than a gallon of fuel in it is basically sloshing around the bottom of the tank and is tough to gauge how much is down in there. This should be MUCH easier to gauge how much fuel is left.

Do you think kerosene is going to run through easier than methanol? I was going to slosh some methanol around it to make sure there are no leaks all the way around, not just on the bottom.

I dont know, i never used methanol to test for weld leaks. We use kerosene to test for leaks..

wouldn't a brake and a shear make that job a lot easier?

i'd hate to see how dangerous you could be with a fully outfitted fab shop and machine shop...

wouldn't a brake and a shear make that job a lot easier?

i'd hate to see how dangerous you could be with a fully outfitted fab shop and machine shop...

A break and shear would make the job a lot quicker and more precise but not necessarily a lot easier. This wasn't terrible even done by hand....

Mmajay has said the same thing before and I've told him. I wouldn't be able to do any more with a full fab shop, I'd just be a lot quicker about it. I can do things by hand they just take longer...

Status
Not open for further replies.