Front sprocket

Smoke

Feb 19, 2009
Today me and a friend are riding and after he gets off it i take off and immediatly notice a knock when i take off im like wtf so i slowly go around and come back and stop and look at where the noise is coming from and my front sprocket has 5 broken teeth! My question is what would make this happen? My first thought is my friend is about 250 so he exceeds the weight limit and from him beating on it riding it up some big hills and over woops that did it. Is that possible? Also anyone got any idea how that comes off there for me to replace? Is it something i can replace on my own? Any advice of comments are appreciated... ty

its simple, you have tools, you can do it, i did it to get my new +3 swinger on, but i was drunk so i will have to look at it again, the plastic piece still on their that covers the sprocket? i cut a little pice out just enough to get a wrench in there to lossen the sprocket, its like a 5 min job

Ya that plastic things still on there, is it bolted on w/them 2 bolts i see? I just called my local shop they said about 22 for the sprocket about 60 to install it, hows that sound?

you notice a difference in the 14t vs the stock 13? how much difference?

Do you think having someone over the weight limit helped break this or is it doubtful?

Ok u guys say it didnt do it i believe u and im sure my friend will b happy he can still ride cause i was about to snap off and ban him from the blaster lol i found a place up north that carries the sprocket in stock im gonna go pick it up just gonna get the 13 im not real worried about th topend unless its like 10mph difference which i dont think it will b i got a zx6r for that I:I

it may be im gonna try in tighten it again after i put this new sprocket on

Ok u guys say it didnt do it i believe u and im sure my friend will b happy he can still ride cause i was about to snap off and ban him from the blaster lol i found a place up north that carries the sprocket in stock im gonna go pick it up just gonna get the 13 im not real worried about th topend unless its like 10mph difference which i dont think it will b i got a zx6r for that I:I

yeah i have a 600rr, I:I which is faster than the zx6, my buddy said his topped out at like 140-150, i was still going...

O ya ive have the zx goin 150 but that was as fast as i was comfortable lol ill holla back when i get home im sure ill have questions on how to replace this sprocket and maybe help tightening the chain L8r guys thanks for the help

$60 to install a chain = RAPE
Most of the time the broken teeth happen after the chain stretches and it causes excess strain on the teeth. If you look your remaining teeth are probably too pointy and very worn. Your rear sprocket is probably going bad to. You should probably get both new sprockets and a new chain, because if any one part is worn it will wear the other two.

ya man the front sprocket is easy, take the stator cover off (5 phillps screws)
undo the 2 bolt turn clip and slide off, then slide the sprocket off and pull it out, replace with new sprocket, install clip, dont over tighten the bolts, install cover done!
and i highly suggest getting a 14t because it makes the gears feel longer

Right on guys thanks for all the help i went and got a new sprocket which by the time i got up there all they had was a 12t so i got it so i could atleast ride the next few days its gonna be nice and I took some mental health days at work, it was 17.99 i am gonna order a 13 and 14 from ebay they got them pretty cheap on there. It was a really easy fix im sure glad i took your guys' advice and did it myself seeing how easy it was i woulda been pissed had i paid someone 60$ to do it. Now i gotta tighten the chain up according to my manual it should have about 1.5in of slack is that correct? I then loosen the top bolt the bottom bolt and use the slack adjuster turning it clockwise to tighten the chain correct? It looks like the adjusters are almost all the way in and i couldnt get the top hub bolt loose, what do i do now? Is it possible to tighten it w/out the top one being loose? Should i take a link outta the chain if thats possible? Well thats my project for today well see how it goes. Thanks for all your help guys