Fresh top end with Namura Hi-Comp piston

BadOutlaw

Nov 16, 2012
Angola, IN
Well after it sitting for the winter and summer, I finally got off my butt and put the motor back together.

I bought a Namura Hi Comp piston hoping it might make a bit more bottom end. I was right. I am really surprised at the difference.

I had bored the jug last fall to .020 and put in a wiseco piston and it ran well, over last winter my daughter decided to hop on it on the coldest day possible and seized it but good. I pulled a cylinder off another parts quad I have and had that one done and put the Namura in. It does make a difference on the bottom end, havent jetted yet, but it goes really well for just going easy breaking it in.

I really think that is a figment of your imagination.

There will be no need to re jet for a change of piston, unless you are running an incorrect one.

I trust you have leak tested and performed heat cycles before you rode it.

I really think that is a figment of your imagination.

There will be no need to re jet for a change of piston, unless you are running an incorrect one.

I trust you have leak tested and performed heat cycles before you rode it.

I never chopped a plug after I freshened it before, it is 100% stock other than the higher compression now. Just figured I would check it to make sure it doesn't need a different jet.

It holds 95% on leak down. I did a couple of heat cycles, If it seizes I'll do it again! LOL!! I'm having a blast (pun intended) whipping on this thing!! Forgot how much fun it was!

What is not a figment of my imagination, is it NEVER would wheelie going into 3rd before, it does now!! LOL!!

Funny, my blaster with a DG wouldnt wheelie in first :p

Now i can probably ride through 5th, cant wait to find out!

Take it easy on a tank or two of gas, better to go slow than stop for another piston!

Take it easy on a tank or two of gas, better to go slow than stop for another piston!

Probably right, I will have to give it back to my daughter when she gets home, she is much easier on it than me, but, it is her quad! I'm just having so much fun on it at the moment I:II:II:I

I might buy one for myself now:D:D

Only a piston ? You have no idea of power in a Blaster. Try some porting, head mod and a good pipe. You will never give it back after that ! Lol.

Only a piston ? You have no idea of power in a Blaster. Try some porting, head mod and a good pipe. You will never give it back after that ! Lol.

I raced a hot Banshee back in '88 and'89, back in the Winston Smokin' Wheels days. Guess Im dating myself !
I know power! This isnt real powerful, but it has enough now to be fun,without hurting myself:D Been there, Done that:eek:

yours wouldent weelie in first with a dg mine with a dg wheelies in third

I never chopped a plug after I freshened it before, it is 100% stock other than the higher compression now. Just figured I would check it to make sure it doesn't need a different jet.

It holds 95% on leak down. I did a couple of heat cycles, If it seizes I'll do it again! LOL!! I'm having a blast (pun intended) whipping on this thing!! Forgot how much fun it was!

What is not a figment of my imagination, is it NEVER would wheelie going into 3rd before, it does now!! LOL!!

Just maybe the conditions (temperature, elevation and humidity) suit the jetting, and with that 5% leakage has moved you into the perfect jetting range.

Just maybe the conditions (temperature, elevation and humidity) suit the jetting, and with that 5% leakage has moved you into the perfect jetting range.

While your statement is plausible, the basic dynamics of a 2 stroke dictate, with no other mods, increased compression WILL increase torque, horsepower to a much lesser extent.

If you do not believe that bumping the compression from a pathetic 6.6:1 stock ratio to , and I am guessing here, I have another piston ordered to do the math, about 9:1 , in and of it self will make a huge difference in the torque of the motor, you need to go and build some engines.

Laddie, I have built more engines than you have had hot dinners.

I will not deny that an increase in compression will give a power increase, but not to a great extent on a bog stock setup.

I will leave you to dream on.

This is a good read from the past.............

This guy on ebay states there is a dome on the piston. You have to read starting from the bottom to understand the conversion.

This is the piston I inquired about.

Namura Piston Top End Kit Blaster 200 Hi-Comp. Std - eBay (item 390275864355 end time Sep-24-11 20:39:52 PDT)

Dear turbowrenchhead,

Hello, you can use this item on a bone stock machine, or with any mods. For best performance you should run a aftermarket exhaust, and intake. Thanks again.

- dirtparts

Dear dirtparts,

What size jets and carb are you using in conjunction with this piston? Are you running aftermarket exhaust as well? What would you recommend to do along with this piston?

- turbowrenchhead

Hello, you would still be able to run 93 octane with this item. Thanks

- dirtparts

Dear dirtparts,

One last question. Since stock compression requires to use 93 octane. If you use this piston does it recommend a higher octane level?

- turbowrenchhead

Dear turbowrenchhead,

Hello, that sounds correct. Sorry they don't give us a exact number, just going off what we have installed in our shop. Thanks

- dirtparts

Dear dirtparts,

So that would raise the compression ratio 3/4 of a point then? Stock is 6.6:1. Are you looking at 7.3:1 roughly?

- turbowrenchhead

Dear turbowrenchhead,

Hello, it is by the dome on the piston. Thanks

- dirtparts

Dear dirtparts,

Does it increase it by using a dome on the piston or by using a thinner head gasket?

- turbowrenchhead

Dear turbowrenchhead,

Hello, this item will increase your compression by about 10 lbs. Thanks again.

- dirtparts

Dear dirtparts,

What is the compression ratio of this piston kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Laddie, I have built more engines than you have had hot dinners.

I will not deny that an increase in compression will give a power increase, but not to a great extent on a bog stock setup.

I will leave you to dream on.

This is a good read from the past.............
I agree.
Lol! 10 lbs of compression really. We can't see a difference in that on the v6 2 strokes we build. High compression pistons just take away needed squish for a motor to live.

Blaaster-

This statement is directly for you-

Your first reply SPECIFICALLY said The power increase was a " Figment of my imagination" - Correct?

Ok, your last post- "I will not deny that an increase in compression will give a power increase, but not to a great extent on a bog stock setup"

Now please explain to me, how you can say that it can not be felt but is there?

Now as far as building engines goes, I am not going o get into a contest to see who has built more engines. I believe in quality, not, quantity.

I do not want to get into a urination match with you, you seem to know something about engines. I am confident you have helped many on this board, but, to tell an someone who has raced for 36 years, and still does, he can't feel a power increase, seems awful presumptive.

I will admit, I was upset by your statement and may have been overly aggressive in responding to it.

All the same to you, as far as I am concerned, its water under the bridge.

Now for a funny side note, as someone who has used this piston, stock jetting will not cut it for break in. My daughter hopped on it when she got home and melted it down. Mind you that is running 110 octane mixed at 32:1 and the oiler running!

Granted, she was on the pipe for 10 min until it melted down!! :eek: It wasnt just a seize either, it was way lean. The plug tip was so covered in aluminum you could not see the electrode.

Anyhow, if running this piston put a bigger jet in it and dont let my daughter ride it.

And away we go to do it again!! I:I I:I I:I I:I

Check my post in the INTAKE section for what I found in a motor today!! FUNNY !!

To save any repercussions I will opt out on commenting why the piston melted whilst your Daughter was riding!

As to the bodgy reeds, it happens all the time.

To save any repercussions I will opt out on commenting why the piston melted whilst your Daughter was riding!

As to the bodgy reeds, it happens all the time.

I should have checked the jetting out, but, I was lazy, my fault plain and simple.

Apathy is a cruel mistress :eek::eek::eek::eek: