FLOTEK, I like your jugs!!!!!!

Knowpig

Aug 11, 2009
What can brown do for you?
The UPS man dropped by the shop today and left me a package. I don't know that I've felt the days pass away so slow since I was an 8 year old boy waiting for Santa! Man, was that a LONG time ago!
But any way.........................................
The little guys Blaster crapped out on us last season for our spring break trip to Glamis. And in all fairness to the Blaster, it was really my fault. I finally got rid of that stumble with a needle adjustment. I just went a little too far and she got hot. Smeared a bit of piston along the bore and she was done. We rebuilt her with some parts from Gilmore's and a hone we made from old socks, a sheet of 100 grit, and a drill. LOL. It lasted the whole weekend! It amazed me that you can buy pistons, rings, and a top end gasket set but no one out there had a hone.
So now it was time to put her together right! The kid is only 12, but he's 5'5" and weighs about a buck-fifty. That's a lot of bacon for a Blaster to haul around. So I tore her down and sent the head and cylinder to Denny at FLOTEK. I had pm'd him and spoke to him on the phone and liked what I heard, so off it went.
I got it back today and all I can say is "wow". All the ports were uniform and well shaped. The exhaust port looks absolutely scary. And all the ports had a nice radius to help the rings live a long and happy life. If this thing runs even half as bad @ss as it looks, she should be a screamer. And the head came out very nice as well.
I should get her back together Saturday. As soon as I can, I'll get you all a ride report. But like I said, if it performs anywhere near as good as the work looks, it should scream!!!!!!!!!! He might give the older brother a run for his money on that Banshee!
Along with the FLOTEK porting we are putting on an OKO 28mm carb and a custom intake. It already has an FMF Fatty (save it, it works fine, LOL) and we swapped out the Sand Skate II's for some 6 paddle Skat Trak Haulers(20x10x8). I think that the lighter tire will help it.
Thanks Denny! Job well done!

glad to hear the youngin will be able to ride again!! i have not personnaly had any work done by any of the builders but have talked with them and they all seem to know there stuff.. and iv seen alot of vids of flotec blaster beatin on bigger 'faster' machines..

you think 5'5'' and 150 is alot for ablaster to haul??? LOL iv owned 3 blaster ( two ran) and im 5'11'' 255

you think 5'5'' and 150 is alot for ablaster to haul??? LOL iv owned 3 blaster ( two ran) and im 5'11'' 255
Well, keep in mind the sand sucks a lot of power.
I'm just a bit taller than you, about the same weight, and I needed a little more. I ride a 501cc TRX450R. Just a weeeeee bit massaged. I think she put down 62hp to the wheels, but the clutch was slipping. Had to upgrade that. It's all good now!

IMO the 200X is a pretty nice ATV.
But I gotta tell you, I think the kid is gonna crap himself when he opens up the throttle on this little Blaster.
Heh, heh, heh. He's gonna smile big. LOL.

nice i was very happy with denny as well, question: what does your custom intake look like, i have a 28mm carb too and didnt realize it entailed hacked the intake boot up

Assembly is pretty much all done.
But I used 2 stroke oil on the rings and the piston, light coat on the bore too.
I know there was a lot of controversy on this in another thread, but I just can't put it together dry. I'll kick it once or twice to try to let the rings wipe the bore down.

On another note, I was using an after-market top end kit and I noticed the exhaust seal did not stick up as much as I would have liked. I went and bought a factory Yamaha exhaust seal and it is indeed a bit thicker and protruded enough to get a good seal. That made me feel better.

I will likely start her tonight after the Chargers finish kicking the crap out of the Broncos.
:)

yea i put mine back together without lube and i looked at it in retrospect and realized it wasnt too bright. i didnt read up on it but i hope i didnt do any harm

Well, true to my word............................
I waited for the Chargers to finish kicking the crap out of the Broncos, and out to the garage!
Mixxed up a gallon of shell 91/VP C-12 and a 32:1 oil mix and threw it in there!
It wasn't even a full kick and she fired right off!
I have to say the porting and a little more compression makes these little Blasters sound MEAN!!!!
The "pap-pap-pap" and the "braaap" have a noticible hit to them now.
Heh, heh, heh.
Dah-dat-dat-dat-dah................I'm loving it!!!!!!
I:II:II:II:II:II:II:II:I

:D