Fix Cracked Crankcase

JBlaster95

Jun 4, 2010
I have a cracked left crankcase right where the shifter goes in. What do I do?
I will replace it if necessary.
Can I fix it anyway?
Would JB Weld be OK?

I would like to spend as little money as possible.

i'd try "quick steel" before jb junk, my buddy tried jb on his quadracer, it seemed to melt during the ride, quicksteel gets very hard and can even be tapped, sanded or shaped afterwards

not true jb weld works great i fixed just about everything on my quadsport with it lol and it didnt melt just dont use jb quik that stuff is not made for that

I JB welded it and it cracked the first time i put it in gear....My next move will be to try quick steel.

If this dosen't work what do i do.

i got a firned that jb welded a case on a 230 quad sport and the case was in like 6 pieces held up great til the chain poped thats what did it the first time

I have been wanting to paint the whole quad so i'm fully disassembling it and i will clean the motor better jb weld it again hopefully that will help. The first time i dont think i got enough where its broken because there was frame in the way so I will be able to seal it better. Hope this works.I:I

I have used jb to repair my blasty before and it worked great. I used acetone or one of those to clean it but first use a bit of sand paper to rough it up so the jb will have something to grab. If you don't got all the oil off it will be no good. Read the label it says what to clean it with. I think it was acetone.

JB weld does work great. It held for an hour and broke. It works fine except in my condition. it isnt just a crack, there is a whole chunk of the case gone around the shift shaft. i think it would hold a chunk even but you are always pushing on the shifter so tere is too much stress for jb. im going to get it aluminum welded soon

Got it welded by my uncle just enough to hold it then put epoxy around it to seal it so it holds oil. Working great!

still working great??? i have this same problem on my blaster engine.. but ive went and bought crankcases off this forum to rebuild the engine with....

Cheers

is this the guy that posted like a week or so ago? If so I saw that pic you had up and I think you need a new case. you said you lost the piece right? that was a big chunk missing there. I am all for some jb weld(when mixed right and it is let to cure it is very strong) I have use it to stop leaks between the case halves before. it worked great. you just have to really rough up the surface and clean it with brake cleaner or some sort of solvent. but in a situation like yours i don't think it would work. sorry about your luck bro.