First Ride...Some Good and Some Not So Good

gottaroost

Aug 12, 2011
Finally got on the trails today for the first ride on our 2001 Blaster including some nice aftermarket parts I had raided off a worn out 2006 Blaster. I did a lot of neighborhood jetting combos before taking it out...finally ended up with a 250 main and although it is just a tiny bit on the rich side, I feel better with it that way.

This is my best jetting fit for the following: Full Pro Circuit Pipe and Pro Circuit 304 Silencer, stock carb, No Toil air filter, airbox lid ON with snorkel, oil auto mix pump ON and working just fine.

So it ran great, can toss the rear end around even under my 200+ lbs. It also stops on a dime because I ordered a set of AWK's rear GSXR brakes and they are a must have over that old POS rear brake it came with.

Almost immediately the front left shock blew and amazingly enough it was able to pump fork oil out continuously for the entire day and it got on everything including me...I didn't think one tiny shock could hold that much oil being that its so small. Anyone ever rebuilt one of these? I do not want to spend much more $$$ on it at this time as I am over my imaginary budget, so just curious if there are seal kits avail for a few bucks.

I bought this Blaster for my son, but he really did not get into it because of all the clutching and shifting. I tried to explain 2-strokes and 4-strokes--hmmm...so I ended up riding it pretty much the entire day. Man, I was totally surprised!! I currently have a couple of 400EX's, a Yamaha Raptor, and I used to have a Polaris Predator 500. This thing is so light and nimble on the trails, you can just toss it around and for me it really hugged the ground tons better than I thought it would. I have not widened it but it still held onto the tight trails and boulders just fine.

I took a "no kids" ride alone later this afternoon and kinda got myself in a pickle when deciding to go after some rock-crawler stuff just to see what it would do...poor choice. I wheelied it up one long and harsh climb but on the downward side, I had to jump off about a 3-4 foot ledge, then noticed it was followed by a series of ledges one after another---all around the 4 ft variety give or take...ughh. That was way more than I wanted to test it out on but there was no option to turn around after that first ledge...no way I was going to be able to turn it around and go back up that ledge. I just gravitied it on down but I probably won't take that trail for awhile, if ever--ha!! But what a cool little machine, now I see why there are entire sites dedicated to this critter.

I noticed that even with most of the left front shock oil finally bled out, it still handled very well on bumps. I do think the back shock far exceeds the front shocks overall though.

Finally got on the trails today for the first ride on our 2001 Blaster including some nice aftermarket parts I had raided off a worn out 2006 Blaster. I did a lot of neighborhood jetting combos before taking it out...finally ended up with a 250 main and although it is just a tiny bit on the rich side, I feel better with it that way.

This is my best jetting fit for the following: Full Pro Circuit Pipe and Pro Circuit 304 Silencer, stock carb, No Toil air filter, airbox lid ON with snorkel, oil auto mix pump ON and working just fine.

So it ran great, can toss the rear end around even under my 200+ lbs. It also stops on a dime because I ordered a set of AWK's rear GSXR brakes and they are a must have over that old POS rear brake it came with.

Almost immediately the front left shock blew and amazingly enough it was able to pump fork oil out continuously for the entire day and it got on everything including me...I didn't think one tiny shock could hold that much oil being that its so small. Anyone ever rebuilt one of these? I do not want to spend much more $$$ on it at this time as I am over my imaginary budget, so just curious if there are seal kits avail for a few bucks.

I bought this Blaster for my son, but he really did not get into it because of all the clutching and shifting. I tried to explain 2-strokes and 4-strokes--hmmm...so I ended up riding it pretty much the entire day. Man, I was totally surprised!! I currently have a couple of 400EX's, a Yamaha Raptor, and I used to have a Polaris Predator 500. This thing is so light and nimble on the trails, you can just toss it around and for me it really hugged the ground tons better than I thought it would. I have not widened it but it still held onto the tight trails and boulders just fine.

I took a "no kids" ride alone later this afternoon and kinda got myself in a pickle when deciding to go after some rock-crawler stuff just to see what it would do...poor choice. I wheelied it up one long and harsh climb but on the downward side, I had to jump off about a 3-4 foot ledge, then noticed it was followed by a series of ledges one after another---all around the 4 ft variety give or take...ughh. That was way more than I wanted to test it out on but there was no option to turn around after that first ledge...no way I was going to be able to turn it around and go back up that ledge. I just gravitied it on down but I probably won't take that trail for awhile, if ever--ha!! But what a cool little machine, now I see why there are entire sites dedicated to this critter.

I noticed that even with most of the left front shock oil finally bled out, it still handled very well on bumps. I do think the back shock far exceeds the front shocks overall though.

Take that airbox lid off and throw a 300 main in it and WOW will it wake up!

The stock shocks are not rebuildable. Ebay or the wanted section for a replacement.... I have one laying out in the garage if you're interested. I have pink springs or yellow springs or no springs and you install your spring.... Post a pic of the front shock to confirm they are stockies though just to make sure. Someone *could* have upgraded the front shocks already.

Just let your son get used to the clutching riding it around the yard/other flat area. He'll learn to love it!

"But what a cool little machine, now I see why there are entire sites dedicated to this critter." People always underestimate the lowly blasty..... little do they know they are a HOOT to ride. Light and nimble is consistently a high mark in the blaster's favor. Suspension can be upgraded reasonably well to make it handle like a dream on the trails (a 400ex rear shock is an absolute must, ebay for a cheap rear shock and www.kenoconnorracing.com for the bushing kit!) and if you don't mind really blowing that imaginary budget on it, the engine can be made to pump out some REAL hp's for a "shet and get" good time quad.

awesome to finally trail her ha !!!!!

glad we got the brakes figured out for ya and working great !!!!

and no, stock shocks can't even be opened up, and definately not rebuildable
just get another used one on ebay, they're fairly cheap

Don't get ripped off on a new stock shock on eBay. Some people have them listed $100+, but I've seen sets of all 3 shocks going for $30 or less. Just a heads up.

I've got two perfectly good front shocks left over from my '05 build. $ 40.00 shipped (as long as you're in the USA) for both if you want 'em. Just shoot me a PM. Shocks are factory finish with grey springs. I took them off to make way for what you see in my sig pic. VV

I ride my son's Blaster and I'm almost old as dirt. :eek: It is a HOOT. has a little porting and Fat Bastard pipe. When your son gets tired of auto clutch or cvt he'll be wanting to ride the Blaster I:I

I have a 290 main laying around, maybe that will work without airbox lid...my filter is No Toil and not a KN so maybe can go 290?

The shock has a white spring on it...could not get my cellphone camera to play nice...but I would bet the shock is stock as everything on there was stock when I got it.

I am tossing around the Blaster shocks you guys are offering. I am also curious if anyone has used Banshee shocks and if you prefer the Banshee's for trails? I do not do tracks at all so wanting to make sure the shocks are appropriate for trails. Also, my son will likely get the hang of the Blaster so wanting to make certain he can handle the Shee shocks and not get beat up by them.

My son is 11 yrs old, that is why wondering about Banshee shocks if appropriate or not.

I have no experience as to wether they're actually better because they're not that great on a Banshee. Just don't get those pretty shocks on E gay for $80=junk.

I threw a set of 300ex front shocks on mine last weekend. They lower the front a bit, but they are great for riding trails! Also I have a 450R rear shock that works great with my +4swinger.