First Complete Blaster Build

stabor1122

Sep 26, 2010
Xenia, Ohio
This will be my first complete tear down and rebuild. It is a 1999. Got this as a parts bike with my 2001. It is 99% complete but has at least a bad top end and a few missing bolts. The plan is to take it down to the frame and rebuild it for my wife (so please excuse the new colors...lol). Here are some before pics. Hopefully, I will get it broke down this weekend. Please bear with me if updates are a little slow, since I work full time and go to school in addition to family duties.

30w8ggg.jpg

15wjr4p.jpg

35d28au.jpg

149oxdz.jpg

11jrx4x.jpg

21ltuae.jpg

Anyone recognize this silencer? I am thinking maybe FMF? Turbine core?
4kk4fr.jpg

99du8o.jpg

awesome looks like you got a good base to build off of. im starting my build soon too good luck... ps looks like that chain is sagging pretty good might wanna adjust it or replace it. of course i might bee seeing things as well

awesome looks like you got a good base to build off of. im starting my build soon too good luck... ps looks like that chain is sagging pretty good might wanna adjust it or replace it. of course i might bee seeing things as well

Thanks. Yeah it seems to be a pretty complete bike. I know it doesn't run. Pulled the head off a few nights ago to have a look and you could see the top edge of the piston has some damage (chipped in spots), so I know a new top end is in order. Going to break open the bottom end too to make sure everything is good. Replace bearings and seals while I am in there. Chain is smoked. It will be getting replaced along with new sprockets. Any of the bushings and bearings that are worn also. New tires, fresh paint, and some of the plastics. Should be good to go for a while once I am done.

Unfortunately didn't have much time to work on the proect last night, but i did manage to get all of the plastics removed and the oil tank. Found lots more hidden dirt and looks like the wiring harness has been "worked on" but not too bad. Probably going to change some things on the harness any way. Not sure if I will be reinstalling the lights and definately not the oil tank so I may not need the wiring for those things. Goal for today is to get the oil drained from the bottom end, remove the exhaust and pull the engine, then clean the dirt and mud off the frame.

So I drained the oil, removed the exhaust, the carb, disconnected the wiring and cables, and pulled the engine (swingarm pivot bolt took some convincing to drive out). I had pulled the head after I got the bike and could see some metal pieces on top of the piston but didnt quite expect what I found. When I pulled the cylinder and the piston skirt on the intake side is destroyed. Lots of metal in the bottom end. Will definately be splitting the cases. The cylinder looks like it should be ok after a new bore and piston.

17d7r6.jpg

16gwta9.jpg

ndlgjo.jpg

keg0o3.jpg

21c5wgp.jpg

154ez9g.jpg

28kpzzb.jpg

wlq0cn.jpg

33cw6ly.jpg

25iw7lx.jpg

that's the dirtiest thing i've ever seen! did it run like that. you need to clean and inspect the hell out of that thing. def time for a bore job and piston. hopefully the crank is still good. scratch that! replace the crank and bearings. time to do a 3 mil stroker and port job. give ken oconnor a call. he will do the port job, replace the piston and make sure your new crank is true. yes a brand new crank needs to be checked before installing it. getting a 3 mil stroker without porting the cylinder to match is pretty worthless. if you need to save money just buy a stock replacement crank and have it checked out.

that's the dirtiest thing i've ever seen! did it run like that. you need to clean and inspect the hell out of that thing. def time for a bore job and piston. hopefully the crank is still good. scratch that! replace the crank and bearings. time to do a 3 mil stroker and port job. give ken oconnor a call. he will do the port job, replace the piston and make sure your new crank is true. yes a brand new crank needs to be checked before installing it. getting a 3 mil stroker without porting the cylinder to match is pretty worthless. if you need to save money just buy a stock replacement crank and have it checked out.

This one didn't run when I got it. I knew it was going to need some work just didn't know what. The plan was to break it all down anyway and this just solidified the decision. Don't have a choice. This one is being rebuilt for my wife so high performance isn't really what I am going for. Planning on a stock crank and and new Wiseco piston so that hopefully this won't happen again. The pics actually make it look worse that what it looks like in person. I think it is the glare but it is definately a case up rebuild.

wow that piston skirt exploded, hopefully theres no cracked case with all that junk in there

Yeah I really hope not. I'm kinda at a stand still for now. Have a lot of school work this week and my wife's birthday this weekend. I have to buy a flywheel puller and case splitter. I am going to check with my uncle who works at a machine shop and see if he can check the cylinder and maybe bore it for me. I also need to find a parts washer so I can clean everything once I get it apart.

i use a regular automotive harmonic balancer puller to split the cases, along with a rubber hammer and a large screwdriver to help it along. works great.

i use a regular automotive harmonic balancer puller to split the cases, along with a rubber hammer and a large screwdriver to help it along. works great.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I will have to see if I have one. My dad gave me a buch of automotive tools a few years ago that I really have never used. Hopefully there is one in there.

if not, you should be able to rent one from your favorite chain parts store for a refundable deposit

Well it has been a very busy month with work and school but thankfully I will be done with school till after the first of the year this week. My wife has had second thoughts on building the Blaster for her so I guess this one is going to be broken down for spare parts for my 01 and part out the rest. Hopefully I will get started on the 01 soon. Will keep updated as I progress.

Well the 99 is down to the frame. Dropped off the cylinder to my uncle today so he can check the bore size and clean it up for me. Have sold a few parts through CL but not enough to buy any of the major parts I need. Removed the decals and cleaned the white front fenders and swapped them with the beat up blue ones on my 01. Still need to be buffed but that will come later. Need to clean up the white rear tomorrow and put it on. Not sure what color combo I am going to go with yet. For now it will be white front and rear with blue hood, tank cover, and blue/black stock seat. Going to see if I like this combo. I'll get some pics once I get the rear installed.

So I finished cleaning the white rear fender today. Still needs sanded and polished to look really good. Swapped it with my blue fender. I am not sure on this color combo. I kinda like it but not sure if I should go with a white hood and gas tank cover too. If I do go with all white plastics then I'm thinking about getting the N-Style Graphics in white/red/black, black gripper seat cover, paint the frame red, with black a-arms, swingarm/carrier and pegs/nerfs. If I keep the blue plastics the frame will be blue instead and not sure on graffics kit. I know colors are a personal choice but what do you guys think?

2ih6r1j.jpg

smrq4x.jpg

33kyzd1.jpg

wl4zy8.jpg

10xrp4z.jpg

346w56x.jpg