few upgrade questions

Nik

Oct 29, 2012
Ukraine, Kyiv
Hello guys, pleased to meet You!
+ 1 blaster owner in Your club.
(P.S. - I am from Ukraine, so sorry for my english friends)

I have boot 2006 blaster few weeks ago and already decided to upgrade it.
First of all, I want to upgrade its suspension
so decided to buy
1) long travel a-arms, this one
Blaster 3 Up 1 Long Travel Racing A Arm Black by American Star | eBay
in this conection - should I buy another shocks, or I can use stock for the first time?

2) long swingarm, this one:
Yamaha Blaster Extended Swingarm Extension YFS200 2" 3" 4" 6" 8" 10" 12" | eBay
so few question:
- what will be better: +8 or +10?
- should I buy another rear shock, or I can use stock for the first time with this swingarm?

by the way, Im thinking about YZ250 swap, but it will be little bit more, first of all suspension.

Thank You all in advice and one more time sorry for my english!
I:I

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys, pleased to meet You!
+ 1 blaster owner in Your club.
(P.S. - I am from Ukraine, so sorry for my english friends)

I have boot 2006 blaster few weeks ago and already decided to upgrade it.
First of all, I want to upgrade its suspension
so decided to buy
1) long travel a-arms, this one
Blaster 3 Up 1 Long Travel Racing A Arm Black by American Star | eBay
in this conection - should I buy another shocks, or I can use stock for the first time?

2) long swingarm, this one:
Yamaha Blaster Extended Swingarm Extension YFS200 2" 3" 4" 6" 8" 10" 12" | eBay
so few question:
- what will be better: +8 or +10?
- should I buy another rear shock, or I can use stock for the first time with this swingarm?

by the way, Im thinking about YZ250 swap, but it will be little bit more, first of all suspension.

Thank You all in advice and one more time sorry for my english!
I:I
Hi Nik

I have just purchased both these products for my blaster, great upgrade, can i ask why the +8 or +10 swingarm?
Yes you can use the standard rear shock but personally i would upgrade the shocks, i am using a YFZ450 rear shock cut and re-drilled, you can use a bunch or other rear shocks too 440ex ltz400 250r and a few others, most will bolt right on but some need some mods done first.

ASR A-arms are very good value for money as you will find out by reading on here, as for the shocks i would def buy new front also but it just depends on how much you want to spend, ASR do a set of +3 A-arm with(in my opinion the best shocks you can buy for a blaster) Elkas, if you really want to go for it you can get Stage 2 or so on!
I have went for a set of second hand YFZ450r front shocks with powder coated springs, and buying the lowering kit to go with them.

Take a look at my build

http://www.blasterforum.com/full-rebuilds-128/new-blaster-strip-rebuild-uk-50283/

You will see all my pics and i'll be posting more in a half hour, if you need to know anything else just ask ;-)

Good luck and i hope this information helped

StevieN

welcome to bf. Nik
sounds like you've got a good suspension plan !

Hello guys, thank You for your answers and help!
“….., you can use a bunch or other rear shocks too 440ex ltz400 250r and a few others, most will bolt right on but some need some mods done first”
Bunch – You mean Banshee? So stock banshee rear shock will be good?
Which of them can be installed without upgrading, drilling…?

“ASR do a set of +3 A-arm with(in my opinion the best shocks you can buy for a blaster) Elkas, if you really want to go for it you can get Stage 2 or so on!
So, is impossible to use stock …?
Elkas really cool but – in our country we say “ really fu….ing price” )))
Can You please recommend me something used that can be installed without upgrading on ebay as example?

“sounds like you've got a good suspension plan !”
My friend has banshee, so I decided to make banshee killer )))
Next stage will be engine swap, I think it will be 250 yz … or something like that, but 2 strokes only.

Sorry i meant a bunch of other shocks! As in more than one(bunch) not banshee!

If i'am not mistaken a banshee front shocks will bolt right on
And yes you can use stock front shocks with the asr arms just make sure they are standard travel a-arms
As for rear most are going for the 400ex shock, its a direct bolt on with no mods an it will lift your ride hight by about 1 inch i think and be alot better than the blaster standard shock

Hope this helps

“Sorry i meant a bunch of other shocks! As in more than one(bunch) not banshee!”
- My mother told me at school – “Learn English” ))) that way I didn’t understand You.

“And yes you can use stock front shocks with the asr arms just make sure they are standard travel a-arms”
- Of course the are not, I have bought +3/+1 a-arms, that’s why I try to understand, how can I find another shocks, that can be installed on the stock frame and long travel a-arms.
I will try to explain: on the long travel a-arms attachment point in another place then it stock a-arms (I think so), that’s new shocks should be longer then stock shocks, but I don’t know what length should it be … that’s why I ask may be You can recommend me some front shocks that can be installed on the stock frame and long travel a-arms (+3/+1).
I will be glad if You can send few links on e-bay.
Main problem – I don’t know what to search….

As for rear most are going for the 400ex shock, its a direct bolt on with no mods an it will lift your ride hight by about 1 inch i think and be alot better than the blaster standard shock
- Thank You, helped a lot!

2 StevieN – I should entertain You with beer when I will visit Glasgow for your help )!

P.S. You have asked me – “why +10 rear swingarm” You think +10 will be too much of not enough?

“Welcome to the forum” – Thank You friend!

Banshee, warrior, and raptor350 front shocks will bolt right up and give a little improvement over stock but there are better shocks out there

“Sorry i meant a bunch of other shocks! As in more than one(bunch) not banshee!”
- My mother told me at school – “Learn English” ))) that way I didn’t understand You.

“And yes you can use stock front shocks with the asr arms just make sure they are standard travel a-arms”
- Of course the are not, I have bought +3/+1 a-arms, that’s why I try to understand, how can I find another shocks, that can be installed on the stock frame and long travel a-arms.
I will try to explain: on the long travel a-arms attachment point in another place then it stock a-arms (I think so), that’s new shocks should be longer then stock shocks, but I don’t know what length should it be … that’s why I ask may be You can recommend me some front shocks that can be installed on the stock frame and long travel a-arms (+3/+1).
I will be glad if You can send few links on e-bay.
Main problem – I don’t know what to search….

- Thank You, helped a lot!

2 StevieN – I should entertain You with beer when I will visit Glasgow for your help )!

P.S. You have asked me – “why +10 rear swingarm” You think +10 will be too much of not enough?

“Welcome to the forum” – Thank You friend!

Ok so its long travel arms you have? and if its ASR long travel arms you will need a 16" front shock, my shock is a 18 3/4 ETE but you can buy a lowering kit to make the shocks work,

YFZ450 front shocks will do you just fine just make sure there 16 1/4 inch eye to eye, be careful as there is a YFZ450r shocks that are the longer shocks so just make sure they are YFZ450 front shocks
Have you purchased your arms yet?
If not take a look at this set up(great deal)

Blaster 200 +3 up 1 Pro X Racing A-Arms & Elka Shocks By American Star | eBay

These shocks will work with the arms

YFZ 450 YFZ450 RAPTOR 660 700 BANSHEE FRONT SHOCKS | eBay

Also these

yamaha YFZ 450 front shock yfz450 | eBay

And for the rear shock

* HONDA 400 EX 400EX 2X4 REAR MONO SHOCK 2000 00 | eBay

Hope this helps a bit!

And i would be glad to take you up on that beer if you ever vist Scotland ;-)

StevieN

Oh forgot about the Swingarm, a +10 swingarm is really for drag racing if i'am not mistaken, i went for a +4 and hopefully i should still get the front end up in the air ;-)

Can you tell me is there any reason why you would want or need the swingarm so big? or is it just for looks?

StevieN

Welcome from the other side!

I agree with what has been said +4 I think is max for trail riding.

Definetly want different front shocks, I have stage 1 dual rate elkas on stock arms and love them!
YFZ450 is a popular upgrade when going long travel. Can't say how they ride, never rode one with them!
Also Works brand shocks are great upgrade.

Hell guys, thank for your answers,
Today have changed my order and ordered this one
Blaster 200 +3 up 1 Pro X Racing A-Arms & Elka Shocks By American Star | eBay
will receive it in few weeks

About rear swingarm – thinking what to do… if You say, that +8 will be to much… may be will order something shorter later, any way – thinking/reading what to do.
P.S. one man recommended me to install rear axle from banshee

your going to love that front set-up, ASR's + Elka's !!!!!
did you send your rider weight and style to have the shocks set-up specifically for you ???
+4" max on the swingarm

banshee axle swap info is somewhat available on here, do a search, but some info is sketchy as to wether you also need the banshee brake hub/disc, and if that works with the cable rear brakes ???

i have a +5 on mine, i only rode it once before i had to break it down to move across country and i like it, its mostly about what u want and how tight ur trails are going to be, the trail i was one were somewhat tight and i was able to maneuver pretty well, im going to be doing flat track with my bike and trail riding so i wanted the best of both. it worked out.
i also have asr a arms with banshee shocks for now and they are nice man let me tell u, the elkas are really going to be like riding on a cloud.

banshee axle is direct swap if you use the banshee brake hub. Its been a year so im not sure if you need the chain hub too but its a direct swap with cable brakes. And it will deffinately make you wider. Well worth it imo

And i have the +6 swingarm and hate it. I have it on craigslist to trade for a stock one