extended swingarm

boomadge

Dec 21, 2011
New York
I do all kinds of riding "trail,some mx,gravel pit hill climbs ect". My blasty is not stock and tends to want to lift the front alot. What would be a good all around extended length? Is there anyplace someone could find a used one?
I just dont want to drop 200 bucks into swinger. I would post in the wanted section but It wont let me. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

a good added length would be from 2-4 inches. I suggest making your own because extended swingers can send you into the $400 range. All you need is beer, cut-off tool, welder, and some good drawn out plans.

I guess the best bet is to just buy another swinger,cut 3" off each side
then single cut each side of my swinger,tube the inner sections,weld the
3" pieces on it. But wouldnt I have to move the shock mount forward after welding the extension. Or could I cut down the 400ex to make up for the angle difference?

I have been looking around on prices and wow some of these swingarms are crazy prices.

+2 imo. I have a +4 and I honestly dont care for it. A lil too long for my type of riding

Taters would be the most inexpensive way to do it an still getting a good swinger but your still going to have to get a longer chain, fresh sprockets and brake cable

Taters would be the most inexpensive way to do it an still getting a good swinger but your still going to have to get a longer chain, fresh sprockets and brake cable.How you like the dmc?

I will see what tater does em for, I mounted up a gsxr-1000 setup so breakline not an issue, figures just put on new sprocket chain combo, so I would have to get a 120 link.
I am thinking maybe just +2 as I do alot of hair-scrambler type riding as well.

Thanks for the input so far.

Blasty I gotta say I have always been an FMF & Toomey guy, but with my porting/headmods/carb mods the DMC pulls harder than the FMF and lets me top like a toomey. Best of both worlds.

absolutely love my +2 swingarm. still works well on tight trails, but it's long enough to help keep the thing from trying to pull up all the time.

My Blaster had a swingarm shop +4 swinger , and it was perfect , +4 is the sweet spot . Same for my banshee , for my riding and where I ride it's the tits .
If you venture to make your own , I suggest you find a 2nd one to extend before you butcher the only one you have . Just incase you warp the swinger with excessive welding heat . You won't be stuck with nothing to ride.

Re: extended swingarm "now complete"

A few days of design and planning and another to complete the task. Custom formed .120 molly plate into 2 .978 x 1.758 x 7.00 tubes that where seem welded. Cut the swingarm legs at the halfway point of the original shock tube mount. Moved the shock tube mount back 3/4" and then press fit the molly tubes in. Then I cut a second swingarm 3 inches infront of the shock tube,removed all the shock mount material from the tube and then press fit that onto the first swingarm. There is 8 3/8 holes that where plug filled to help aid in flexing,and only 1 seem weld per side. All welds where
x-rayed and anything showing possible issues where ground out and rewelded.
Finally all welds where tranisioned and smooth.Its exactly +3 dont let the pictures fool you.

Few pics of the final product,

100_3715.jpg

100_3716.jpg

100_3719.jpg

100_3722.jpg

100_3720.jpg

Turned out nice man

Thanks man, alot of work so far, but the outcome is well worth it.

Got the bearing kit installed and its all assembled. Still pulls the front up
pretty easy, but there is more control over that. Still working on front shocks
for it, and getting the flywheel lighten'd up. Pics of progress.
100_3727.jpg

100_3726.jpg

100_3725.jpg

100_3728.jpg