exhaust system questions

dksix

Apr 16, 2012
North East Tennessee
Ok, I've searched and read about everything I can find on Blaster exhaust systems here and other places. I still have a couple a questions on what comes with each system and what is the best value.
First off my engine is completely stock but I plan to upgrade later with port and head work. I'm looking for a good all around rider. I've had this Blaster for less than a week, bought it just to see if I liked it. It was cheap and in good shape and I enjoy riding more than anything I've had in a long time. I've rode 2 strokes forever but this is my first 2 stroke quad. Bike wise, I've always had KX and CR 250's.
With the exhaust I plan to buy and install new reeds (thinking Boysen dual stage) reed spacer or a set of VF3 reeds/cage, a new air filter, remove air box lid and install and Outters pre-filter. (I'll be installing a 400ex rear shock that I already have at the same time, that's the main reason I plan to remove the air box lid).
I want to get the most for my money but am willing to spend what I need to to get the best value (cheaper isn't always the best value). First is the Toomey, the kit I'm looking at is $399 plus the ride but comes with alot of stuff that I will have to buy separate going with another brand. Here's the Toomey B1KC Toomey Pipe Systems It comes with everything, just install and go. The other pipe is this DMC DMC Chrome Exhaust Pipe Muffler Alien Yamaha Blaster Silencer 93 94 95 96 97 98 | eBay much cheaper but appears to not come with anything but the pipe and silencer.
I will have to buy a filter, exhaust flange, springs, hangers, jets and a needle and deal with the jetting and getting the needle set. I can do all that but at some point the leg work, guess work and risk of a jetting mistake takes time and could cost alot more money.
For $140 extra is the toomey a better value? I realize that they each are better in certain rpm's and as an all around rider, each is a draw back. How reliable will the Toomey jetting be? Which pipe will be better down the road with future upgrades? Which would sale better in the used market should I want to sale it later? Which has better after the sale customer service? I would assume buying the Toomey straight from them the customer service after the sale would be better with the Toomey.
Sorry if that got too long but I like to only buy once and not be on my own when something goes wrong.
BTW, if someone wants to make me a good deal on a nice system, let me know. I'm not opposed to buying clean used parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its only between them two, I would pick Toomey. If you plan on going all out on your motor over time, a right bend may be better for all out power.

If its only between them two, I would pick Toomey. If you plan on going all out on your motor over time, a right bend may be better for all out power.

Agreed! I ran a Toomey for a long time and it produces a good power gain over stock. I replaced my Toomey pipe with a Trinity right-bend pipe after I had my engine ported, but in hindsight, Im not sure how necessary this pipe swap really was. Ken O Connor (who did my engine work) has said Toomey pipes run well with ported engines, needing to be replaced with a right bend or CPI big-bore pipe ONLY if you upgrade to a big-bore kit. Draw your own conclusions.

Toomey pipes are good quality and have the best fitment of any pipe out there. The silencer has two unique adjustable mounts that allow it to adjust to fit the frame. The pipe kit is complete and is a bolt on and go setup. I would use a 320 or 330 main jet, though, because the kit is designed to be used with an oil injected engine. You need to bump the main jet up 1-2 sizes when switching from injection to pre-mix.

Thanks, I'm finding little information on any others. For my bikes, I've always went for FMF fatty or gnarly pipes but from what I've read the DMC is pretty much equal to the FMF but at a much better price. Trinity seems to be equal to a Toomey but with the Toomey coming with all the extra stuff, it seems to be the better value. The rest of the brands I know of (such as Bill, DG, and paul turner) haven't had very good ratings from the reviews I've read. Any suggestions or recommendations will be considered.

Here's my .02 cents I've had the dmc toomey an the now bad*** dynoport! The dmc runs good on stock motors after I got it ported it felt restrective vs the toomey....dmc had a lil more bottom then the toomey not enough to sway me so I sold the dmc.. now I have the dynoport, port work ,flotek head mod, boyeson rad valve, an pwk 28mm carb...the dynoport comes in stronger then the toomey... ill spank my dads *** everywhere I have more bottom end stronger mid range an pulls up top like a mofo...toomey is a good pipe not knocking it 1 bit just my experience with the pipes! My ported can vouch for me...he's rode both blasters.. the dynoport has enough bottom to tractor around.. a killer midrange an amazing top end...its up to you know..don't be kicking yourself l8r down the road ur dropn 400 dollars anyways why not get the dynoport

Dmc has a killer bottom end an good midrange just falls off up top....an my dads blaster is ported... so where pretty eveen.... the toomey jetting is dead on! I race mx an the dynoport just has it everywhere! I give it a 10 out of 10... any1 who says right bends doesn't have bottom end is full of it...

Last edited:
Here's a vid of me messing around this is with the dphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBsK-Xwwv18&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you want the low/mid range DMC Alien is the pipe, couple it with a set of dual stage reeds, reed spacer block, and +4 deg timing advance and it will give lots of get up and go.

If you want top end then the Toomey is the one to choose.

I'd go with Toomey or Dynoport or mabey an LRD cause I gather there basicly the same. I have an FMF on mine and tolerate it at best, and a Toomey on the other. And I like the Toomey better so far cause of the sound and power. Blasty 95 mentioned a power hesitation down low. I don't but I got A set of Boyesen Pro Series Reeds from Chapparal for $45 shipped in like 3 days and there is virtually no hesitation at all. Might be because I got it hooked up to a 30MM oko carb not that it helps. But generally I try to even the power out. By putting Top end VF3 reeds paired up with my FMF and pair up the low end boyesens with my Toomey.
Here's a link to a websight cupon code for like 20 or 30 bucks off at Rocky mountain ATV MC that I know sells toomey jet pipe kits for like 379.99 with everything. Here's the link and the coupon code I dont know if it works but if it does it's another $20 off 22560 is the code.:D:D:D good luck dude
Toomey B-1 Pipe Kit | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

I didn't say the toomey has hesitation it just has a lil bit of lag down low that was b4 the portwork...
After my dad got it ported, it lost a lot of the lag... From the mid range to top end the toomey screams... Just my dynoport has it down low has a stronger mid range an pulls harder up top... My dad said he can feel where the toomey is out an the dynoport just keeps on pulling..... You can't go wrong with either.. toomey is a real good pipe for a stock blaster an can run on a ported blaster..I just look at it why not get the dynoport ur paying 400 bucks anyway and it will allow heavier modding....

Last edited:
Me neather to eather one I was just explaining the personalities the 2 styles of pipes have was all, and to be aware of there inital faults some people percieve on ocassion. I love my toomey cause it gives it a muscle car kind of rumble to it you know. Also DK6 here's a link to a preview of all the know pipes you can get for your blaster to see what they look like and sound OK.
http://www.blasterforum.com/pics-vids-9/sound-freedom-41965/