engine wont stay on

hemikidd

Feb 2, 2011
queens NY
my friend was riding the quad around the block then all of a sudden it died on him.. kick start wont kick on motor unless holding throttle a little.. an it sounds like theres a ping all of a sudden .. an when kicking it certain times i hear like air escape from side like a PSSS.. what could this be? i hope nothing bad..an hard happen.. what can it be?

if you blew a head gasket its very simple and easy to replace doesnt take much time at all look in between the head and the cylinder see if you can find any oil around it if so your head gaskets shot (i try to keep my motor as clean as i can for this reason) a compresion testers like 15 bucks

try and figure out where the air is comming from. compression testers can be found cheap. like 20 bucks, nice to have. might want to look into a leakdown tester also. kinda sounds like you had an air leak and it caused a lean condition and a blown motor but lets hope not.

and not jetted for these cold temps, buy a head gasket (if thats where the gunk is ?? near the top???) and report back we'll help you install it
but it should be givin a compression test, < after the new gasket, then a leakdown test
compression testers are available at any auto store or harbor freight for under $20
and leakdown testers are available here fro holeshotman

If its hard to kick over the piston might be fried. You wont know until you pull the top end off. Once you have it apart you will be able to see if the cyl walls are all scratched and the top of the piston looks beat. Like awk said if it wasn't jetted for the cold weather it runs leaner and it harms the engine.

i did the block off 2 days ago .. how hard it is to take the gasket off? an the gunk is on the side like right under the choke lever...

oh yea another thing once it is on when u put it in 1st an start giving it gas you can floor the gas an it wont gain speed stays at like a certain rpm goes forward a little then dies out..