Engine question. Popped piston.

x_doug_x

Jul 20, 2013
I can show a picture, and please don't start flaming as I know what I would think when reading this post. LoL. With that being said, I work a lot and didn't have a lot of time to mess with this thing. When I bought it the previous owners were premixing it and stuck a bolt with ziptie in the line going to injection pump. I rode it twice in the woods behind the house for a couple short rides with my sisters kids just to take them for a ride. The idle was high I knew it had an airleak but wasn't sure why and didn't have a lot of time to mess with it. I dumped about 4 ounces of oil in the tank to make it a little richer which prob. hurt more than it helped. I ordered the block off kit from vito's, today I pulled the plastic cover off, didn't pull the clutch cover off, didn't cap off the pump figured it wouldn't matter. butt I pulled the lines off it and put a cap on the carb where the injection pump went into the carb. When I went to put the cap on the carb I realised there was another reason it was running lean, the cap that retains the slide had came completely off and was sucking air. Prob. the biggest problem. Well, I screwed it back on and tightened it down with channel locks, took it for a ride and it blew. Do you guys think this was from running it lean previously? Too much oil shouldn't cause the piston ring to bust will it? Also, leaving the lines open on the oil pump shouldn't cause an airleak correct? I'm sure air shouldn't get in as oil goes through there into the carb and if there could be an airleak in there, you'd have issues with the possibility of oil going into the crankcase instead of the carb. correct?

As you can see, riding with an air leak is not good. Having the injection like from the tank will not make an Ir leak. You MUST have the injection port on the carb blocked off. Extra oil will not save you from a lean condition. It's the fuel that helps cool the motor. You should read up on jetting,plug chop and leak down testing.

As you can see, riding with an air leak is not good. Having the injection like from the tank will not make an Ir leak. You MUST have the injection port on the carb blocked off. Extra oil will not save you from a lean condition. It's the fuel that helps cool the motor. You should read up on jetting,plug chop and leak down testing.

The previous owners had a bolt stuck in the hose that went to the tank. I ordered the vito's block off and put the cap on the carb when it came in today, I didn't realise the cap being off the slide till today. I fixed it and capped off the carb today. I either had too much 2 stroke oil or it was already getting ready to pop from previously running lean, which do you think? I have a picture of the piston. It broke the top ring and jammed it between the cylinder piston and bottom ring. About 1/2 inch or less.

I know about the wide open throttle cut off and pull plug and plug chop, but this thing is completely stock.

Never heard of this? I've had banshees and 250r's since I was a teenager. Always mixxed 32:1 or a littler richer with no issues. But this time I may have had a little too much.

yep, an extra 4 ounces to a gallon creates 16:1 fuel/oil mix ratio, effectively cutting the fuel to air ratio in 1/2 from a 32:1 mix.
a lean condition refers to the fuel/air ratio, not the fuel/oil ratio,
get the fuel/air ratio too lean and it will fry, unless you rejet accordingly for that particular mix, which at a possible 16:1, may have required 3-4 sizes larger main jet to supply the engine with enuf fuel to keep it cool.

The damage was possibly started by the PO running with an air leak, the straw that broke the camels back was the addition of the extra oil causing an extra lean fuel mixture.

The damage was possibly started by the PO running with an air leak, the straw that broke the camels back was the addition of the extra oil causing an extra lean fuel mixture.

I'll keep that in mind next time. Either way there was still a very bad airleak causing a lean condition from me and previous owner. That was the cap being off the top of the carb for the slide. I dunno how long it's been that way, as stated before, I found it when I was capping off the oil line on the carb.

Either way, I just put my banshee back together. I'll have something to ride, maybe. I bought it and the previous owner of it didn't tell me the bottom case was busted and jb welded, I took the motor off and took it to an aluminum welder to get straightened out, still not sure if it's gonna leak or not.

Btw, just wanted to let all you know I was thankful for your help, I've been on a lot of forums in the past and you guys were prob. the most polite to a noob. LoL