electrical do's and don't's

blasterboy32

Jan 9, 2012
harrisburg, pennsylvania
I'm trying to get rid of the unneeded wires in my harness in my 97 blaster. I have the whole tors removed,no taillight,no headlight and no oil injection. My question is what wires can I cut and where. I see the wires that are coming out of for example the tors but don't know where to cut them. I have no idea how to read electrical diagrams. Some of the wires that I think need cut join into two wires with a metal connector( not a plug just wrapped in electrical tap) can I still cut it if it splits into two or will it not complete the circuilt then? If anyone has any pics of there harness with the unneeded wires removed and could post them that would be a huge help. Also if someone has pics of what wires go to the taillight and headlight because I have four going to the rear and not plugged into anything and don't know if they can all be cut. Or if someone could atleast describe to me what color wires I can cut or label them in a wiring diagram so I could atleast try to figure out. Thanks in advance for any help

un tape the wires, then follow them back and cut them before the splice into the harness on a blaster older then 03. I have no diagram but just a little time and thought, tracing the wires back should be no problem and every wire to the back of the blaster should be useless with the tail light and brake light gone?? somene correct me if im wrong?

there is 4, green and black should be oil injection wires and the blue and black should be brake lights. yes if u already done away with all lights just trace back and cut before the splice into the main harness with no worries , hope it helps

OK thanks. I don't have the harness in front of me now but if there's any that go two into one and one of the wires that is with another wire that go into one can I cut one of those or would that mess the circuit up. I don't know if that made any sense. If you think of the shape of a letter Y could I cut one of the top diagnol wires? Hope that made sense now

if your cutting anything make sure it heads to the light/injection, never cut anything u are not sure of, i started from the part i did away with and moved back to the splice for my own piece of mind, ive done a few bikes BUT i am a newbie here..lol would not hurt to get solid proof from the veterans just letting u know from my experience.

OK I plan on cutting out the tors wires and I also don't have a key so I don't need this wires or the indicator lights that used to be on the headlight and the wires coming from the clutch perch if I can do that because none of that stuff is necessary or being used. Hopefully someone else that knows what I can cut out for that stuff will chime in. Thanks for the help so far though

sure no problem just trying to get in here myself, ive worked on quite a few and if no one chimes in send me a message and ill get u pics of my harness (99) to help u out the best i can

I looked at the wiring schematic and it looks like you only have to have the ignition circuit for a Blaster to run, if you never plan on using the TORS (good idea, IMO) or lights (bad idea IMO). Here it is http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj318/battbike/100_1972.jpg You should be able to get rid of everything except the bottom half of this (minus the Y/R wire coming out of the cases from the stator). You'll then need to wire in a kill switch. Looking at the picture it would seem that shorting the B/W wire to ground using a simple MX bike push button would be all you need or you could run the B/W wire to the the B/W wire at either or both or the switches (key and handle bar switches) and each would still work, as long as each still had the ground wires hooked up.

Okay I think I can understand that diagram. Ill try doing this tomorrow and report back if I have any questions or problems. I don't mid leaving the original kill switch but maybe I could still cut the wires for the headlight switch

As simple as the harness is to run the ignition circuit I would make one. I'd say you could buy the wire and connectors for under $20 and a push button MX switch for $10. Then pull the OEM harness, all the lighting parts and box them up. If you ever wanted lights back on it would be much simpler to do. Being able to put it back with lights will be a big plus if you ever sale it. I worked as an mobile A/V installer for about 8 years. I learned to never cut a harness if there was any way to avoid it.

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea. I might try making a harness but I got a lot of buddies with blasters and parts quads. If I screw up this harness I could get another one cheap and easily but ill see if it might be possible to make my own first

I have a few questions. There is a black wire coming out of the motor along with 3 others. What is supposed to be plugged into that? Also is the tors brain the thing with just one wire coming out? Then it switches to blue wire? Also I have a black wire that comes out of the cdi I believe it its and I didn't take notice where the other end goes but there's 2 ground wires coming off of this one black wire. Why would there need to be two. I only have two grounds total is that correct? One goes by the ignition coil and I think the other goes under the Hood if I remember correctly