Dual Sport

bigwill

Jun 6, 2011
joppa, md
So I'm now in the market for a dual sport. I wanna get a 2smoker for sure, but other than a dt200(which if I can find one is going into a blaster frame) and the kdx200/220 I'm unsure of what's available. Can anyone else think of any newer(late 90's or newer) 2moker dual sports? I know I can convert a mx bike into one and that is also an option.

I didnt know you could make a 2 stroke MX bike street legal! Really?! Id be interested in taking a yz250 to the roads if all it took was an inspection and the necessary safety stuff (lights, etc)

md might be a pain to get it legalized but pa you can. there are a few way's around it though. i managed to get a crf450 legalized here in pa. took about 6 weeks but it was worth it. if your not planning an all day trip a smoker might be worth it but if you go on a long ride for the day nothing beats pulling up to the pump and riding again imo.

The DT line came in many different sizes. Pick up an old DT400.
The IT line was Yamaha's 'desert/woods' bikes of the day. They have the benefit of lighting but you'll have to add turn signals, brake light, ect.
They came with every motor the YZ came with except the YZ360. Don't be tempted with the 79' IT400 or the 80' IT425 there are no pistons for those 1 year bastards.

If you want a fun project find an old Honda XR600 or 650 duel sport and do a motor swap.

I didnt know you could make a 2 stroke MX bike street legal! Really?! Id be interested in taking a yz250 to the roads if all it took was an inspection and the necessary safety stuff (lights, etc)

There extremely rare but I have seen 3 in like 6yrs that were converted, 2 yz 250's and 1 rm.

it can be done like i said above but md is somewhat communist when it comes to this. you're best bet is to find a friend in pa(someone you trust)have him go through the process. once he has the tags you can transfer however does'nt md have emmision testing? have you thought about a newer bike? you can pick up suk,kawi and xr's all day long for a decent price. most are easy and fairly cheap to desmog and upgrade. if you're set on a smoker it will take patience but once again there are way's around everything

I definitally want a 2smoker. I think I'm really limited on options tho. I'm probably gonna grab a 2001 kdx200 off a guy on craigslist as long as he has a title and put tags on that. Its a decent bike for what I'm looking for and I can always have ken port it for more power. Not so worried about pulling up to a pump since I don't plan on traveling very far with it.

It's no sweat anywhere really. You just have to buy a model that is old and original.
Every state as far as I know allow a grandfather clause.
This is what also allows the old vintage cars that have no chance of passing emissions to be tagged and titled.
This is where I don't know for sure but the old cars rock the 'historic' tags and get exemption. I imagine old bikes being able to have the same.
You can get them if your ride is 25 years old. They allow you to not have to go through emissions.
For you young whipper snappers back in the day EVERY performance street legal sport bike was a 2 stroke.
I have heard of the PA way of working the system and I agree with it totally since honestly 2 strokes are the least contributor of the problem.
The whole emissions thing is a scam. For instance,
a passenger jet plane or a container ship will burn more fuel and pass more emissions in one trip then your blaster and daily driver car combined for their life time of use-
believe it...

Hellz yeah for the last few years I've wanted to buy an old Yamaha CT-1 for
trips to the local ma and pops/liquor store/gas station a couple miles from the house.

yep paulie your right there are ways around everything. i had a 97cr250 plated in pa and my problem was at first i thought i'd make short trips but they kept getting longer and the only problem was the fuel thing so i went with what suited me best. now i'm not bragging up a 450 so not trying to start the whole 2 vs 4 debate it just suited me for the riding i do. i would definatly check out the grandfather clauses and see what you come up with. i know some guy's will get a post office box in pa for so many years then get a sort of residency-get your bike tagged and transfer it. her's a chart that may help you with what you need to know about lighting-
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/EquipmentChart2008-MSFlogo.pdf
if it does'nt link up i will pm it to you-and once again i can help steer you around some of these items as well. hope this helps

don't mean to keep hijacking this thread but here is a pic of mine
march2011misc019.jpg

mini stalker led front signals
march2011misc011.jpg

mini led flush mount rear signals
march2011misc010.jpg

tusk offroad led tail/brakelight
march2011misc009.jpg

baja light kits work really well and instructions are a breeze-check rocky mnt. tusk off road for lights, i did'nt like some of baja's lights and went with led's as they don't use much wattage. you can also check dennis kirk street bike catalog for really nice signal lights

That 450 is killer. But I honestly do only want it for short trips, I have a 04 busa and a 77 kz1000 street legal dragger for those long rides.

Paulie man, I would love to get my hands on an kawi h1 or h2... talk about 2 stoke powa.

yep well your not real far from me. you ever get one come on up and we can ride all over up here or head up to awks mountain...

That 450 is killer. But I honestly do only want it for short trips, I have a 04 busa and a 77 kz1000 street legal dragger for those long rides.

Paulie man, I would love to get my hands on an kawi h1 or h2... talk about 2 stoke powa.

Gimmie and old RZ350 with a Banshee 611 swap to go hunting those pesky 1000's hehe

i appreciate that paulie. took a little time and sweat but i got it the way i want it. one thing i won't recommend is the interstate. i rode into hancock,md one day with my cousin(he has a ktm) and we decided to hop on I 70 back home. holy s$%t when a semi passes you on a dirtbike with knobbies that biotch get's a little cockeyed...lol. take care