Dual LED Headlights (pics)

BlasterMaster15

Jan 23, 2011
New jersey
i swapped my 03 frame for an older frame that was in better shape to then realize i couldnt mount my 03 headlight. (normally i could but apparently the plastic housing was cranked at the mount holes) i still wanted a headlight and i always like the look of led ones so i set some up of my own.

the first obstacle was to make a bracket to mount the lights because of how little spots there is to mount stuff on the front of older frames. i ended up making a U shaped bracket with the lights on the front and the two ends bolted to the two front bolts on the gas tank.
quad1.jpg

the second problem was that the blaster has an AC fluctuating power system that immediately fried the control boards that came with the lights. whoops...
anyway, i built a much stronger control box for them consisting of a dc rectifier, two 12 volt regulators, and two 10 ohm ballast resistors to drive the leds. i ran a wire to the toolbox area of the back plastics to mount a battery so the lights dont dim at idle and i can run them without the quuad running.
cb.jpg

cb2.jpg

then it was just a matter of filling the box with silicone to waterproof it and wiring everything up.
IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

i am thrilled with the results they are really bright and dont dim at all at ide and best of all they work with the quad off! they never make it idle lower either like the stock!

Reactions: 98blaster+4
What kind of LED's do you have in them? The people over at CPF were going crazy when they released the XML's so we picked up a few for cheap and we were really surprised. The XML we have rapes all of our other LED's which include R5's, P4's, R2's, P7's, and Q5's. The XML's are cheap, flood like a halogen and can be focused to spot like an R2. I am sure whatever LED you are running would be worth canning for one of these new LED's.

Check it out! XML 1000 Lumen 3.5v

Drive one of these puppys between 3-4 amps and you will make cars look bad. Focus them right and you could make peoples 35w HID setups look bad.

i have some 700mw luxeon star knockoffs. i may look into those ones! what size ballast resistor would you recomment using? my rectifiers are only rated for 1000mw each

i have some 700mw luxeon star knockoffs. i may look into those ones! what size ballast resistor would you recomment using? my rectifiers are only rated for 1000mw each

Yea, those LED's are complete garbage, I wouldn't have even wasted my time on this mod unless I had an R2 or P7. The LED's you have now are probably weaker than the stock headlight. Upgrade to XML's and get a driver on DX.

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with blasters and specifically don't know what voltage their stator produces but this driver handles a wide range of voltages and outputs 3000mA!

Also this driver gives you some really cool light effects!

Specs:
6-18V 3000mA 3-Mode Circuit Board for XM-LT60 Emitters
-- Current: 3000mA
-- Voltage: 6-18V
-- 3-Modes: high, low, fast strobe

Two extremely powerful LED's with fast strobe will freak everyone out!

Your build is looking like this (Per Light) $20 (LED X2) + $10(Drivers X2) = $30 total (also remember to get a heatsink to stick the LED on! Thirty dollars total is not bad considering what you are getting, besides that you will probably have the brightest lights of any blaster on this forum. Your only competition will be a quad with HID's but you could focus one light and flood the other giving you over 100 yards of flood which would beat most vehicles brights!

To put this in perspective, I figure right now you are pushing around 200 lumens, upgrading to XML's will give you 2000 lumens roughly!

agreeded on the p7's or even fit 2 of the ones on my Shee (3000 lumens) in there.
Anyways Damn nice work on the fitment, I love the look brother I:I

agreeded on the p7's or even fit 2 of the ones on my Shee (3000 lumens) in there.
Anyways Damn nice work on the fitment, I love the look brother I:I

Check out the new XML's they are rated around 1000 lumens, the P7's were rated around 900 but were really only around 300. The XML's are so much brighter than the P7's you would be surprised. Next would be the SST-50's and SST-90's but how do you cool them things off?

I purchased a P7 LED when they came out for like $40, wish I hadn't wasted my money. I have that stuck in a maglite though and it's still pretty impressive but my new R5 kicks its but. P7's are only good for flood, the XML's just destroy P7's every way imaginable lol!

Oh BTW, the P7's are more expensive than the NEW XML's!

Reactions: BlasterMaster15
Lol Xml going 900 yards.. You must be talking about my junk setup i play with every now and then.

That sucker has the WIDEST flood i have seen on a light and the furthest(i tried to make it flood honest!) throwing light i have seen today.

Remember that tower i was lighting up at the dunes? What was it, about half mile away or more?

Here is how i built my XML setup.

Bought 1 of these at walmart for $3.50 - Lantern
Bought 1 of these off DX for $9.40 - Cree XML-T6
Bought 1 of these off DX for $5.00 - Driver/Regulator
Had a CPU heatsink laying around $4 - Heatsink

Here's how it was done;
Removed fan from heatsink
Stuck LED on the heatsink with thermal Epoxy(well i cheated, thermal compound in center and JBweld around the sides)
Soildered leads onto LED
connected leads from led to the leads going to the driver
Applied 12 volt to driver to make sure everything worked.
Cut reflector cutting edge on soldering iron to fit down on heat sink.
Adjusted reflector to where i wanted it focused.
Siliconed reflector to heat sink.

My heatsink is OVERkill, the reflector lets light pass through horribly bad.

That SOB outshines my car in distance, not so much for flood. It dominate the stock head light by atleast 4 times the brightness with flood. The light is more uniform infront.

Now mine is ran at 4 amps - this does get hot when not moving around(air flow). I switch it to 3amps most of the time to deal with heat - it doesn't change to to much in brightness, but holy hell it is bright. I need pictures!

Post up a schematic!! I'm looking for something for my YT175 - it doesnt use any regulators for voltage, all AC current. I would love to use My XML on it(original purpose) + batteries, but mine sucks down 16 watts after inefficiency at 4amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BlasterMaster15
ok im finally getting around to post some night shots of these things. the only downsides is that one, they are not ridiculously bright (100 lumens maybe), and two they are fog lights so they are pretty pinpoint. very soon im going to throw some xmls in it and have them set as floods like spywell and rubbersalt said (rep to both of you thanks for the ideas!!!). anyways within a week or so i will be ordering the xml leds and the two drivers and some small heatsinks and will follow up with some more pics!
IMG_0141-1.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0142-1.jpg

IMG_0136-1.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg