dodge dakota vs. ford ranger

Toyotas are good trucks. I have a buddy that had a late 90s Tacoma. Never any issues other than normal maintenance. Great ground clearance for a stock truck too.

my buddy has/had 2 tacomas, and they are great trucks, but there are none to be found in my price range, theres a few cheaper regular cab ones but they're early 90's
i want sumthin a little newer and an ext cab is almost a must

Well, Ill say this. Theres a reason they keep their resale.

Ive worked on both, older Toyotas from the 90s, including Tacomas, this Dodge, my dads Ford, and the Tacoma blows them all out of the water in build quality, ease of work, reliability etc.

If you could find like a 97-00 Tacoma 4 banger with 4wd and an extra cab (even the V6 ones arent HORRIBLE on gas) that would be a great truck for you.

If you could find like a 97-00 Tacoma 4 banger with 4wd and an extra cab (even the V6 ones arent HORRIBLE on gas) that would be a great truck for you.

/\/\/\ exactly !!!!!! but key words are ....if i could find

i also just built my current blasty set-up at my buddies garage and did not think it was gonna fit into his 08 tacoma, but it did, but that was before these new g-force x-treme rims and 20x10x10 bandits, they put me at almost 54 inches wide in the back !!!! lucky i have the g-force axle too and can move the spacers to easily narrow it a bit

luni is right about the front ends on the dodge's. I've replaced every front end part on mine and 2 track bars in the the last 6 yrs. I have taller tires on mine with cherry bomb dual exhaust no cat and I get 17 highway with it so not bad for a fullsize 4x4 ext cab but it is the 318 not 360.

As much as I am all for american made, a buddy of mine used to drive a 1997 nissan frontier with a 5 speed, 4 banger, 4 wheel drive. And he gt incredible gas milegae. I beleive btween 30 and 35. Now to the chevy's and 4.3's. I used to have a 1999 s-10 blazer with the 4.3 and the mileage wasnt horrible. if you keep a light foot yopu can easily make 20 to the gallon. the bad about these motors are their notorious water pump problems and i had to repair my A/C system twice in 100,000 miles. Radiator and fuel pump crapped out at 19500. I loved the vehicle but it had to many probles at the time for a high school kid.

As much as I am all for american made, a buddy of mine used to drive a 1997 nissan frontier with a 5 speed, 4 banger, 4 wheel drive. And he gt incredible gas milegae. I beleive btween 30 and 35. Now to the chevy's and 4.3's. I used to have a 1999 s-10 blazer with the 4.3 and the mileage wasnt horrible. if you keep a light foot yopu can easily make 20 to the gallon. the bad about these motors are their notorious water pump problems and i had to repair my A/C system twice in 100,000 miles. Radiator and fuel pump crapped out at 19500. I loved the vehicle but it had to many probles at the time for a high school kid.

i've had 3 s-10 blazers and never did a thing to anything under the hood
1 was brand new '89 off the lot, 1 was 3 year old '89 30,000 miler, and the last one was a 170+ beater
i just want better milage than that

FINALLY !!!!!!
have been waiting for this dude near ken oconnors place to gain control of his deceased fathers estate, owned by a 70 yr. old for the last 10 years.
just got that call, and paypalled ken $4200, pretty good deal for an 02 ranger xlt super cab with 90,xxx on it ????
gotta wait for the loot to clear and the dudes even gonna deliver it to kens shop,
then i'll be jumpin a train to kens place to recover my new toy hauler
busco here i come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...................

30mmkxt.jpg

mvm1kj.jpg

Looks good. I don't know how you can buy it without seeing in person tho. Bigger person than me trusting the guy

kens gonna give it a good looking over before he hands him the loot
but the dudes a detective, and i googled everything he told me, and found everything he told me was true...... his fathers obituary, his promotions to detective,
and the fact he didnt want to sale it without me seeing it in person, i had to talk him into it
thousands and thousands of people do it every day on ebay.
he set the price at $4200, to cover his fathers funeral costs that werent covered, and i was first to respond, so he said it was mine
he got 35 emails within 15 minutes asking to buy it right now, sight unseen
he knows it's worth way more, but stuck to his word for over a month now,
if it was a scam, he wouldnt have made me wait over a month

plus i can't find an 02 ranger super cab for under 5-6 grand with even close to those miles around here
i'm seeing kelly blue book trade in values of over $5600, and a few dealers have them around here for 7 -9 thousand dollars, with 150,xxx + miles on them
i can easily almost double my money after i get it home

here is my .02

I dont understand small trucks, especially the 4 cyl. If you are towing, go small v8 full size, if not v6. Usually stay away from solid white trucks, usually part of a company fleet and were driven like a company vehicle. I live sh*t and breathe chevy, and always will. I have driven an ford for over a year, hated every minute of it with reason, my dads company truck is a dodge, he dont like it with good reason.

here's my .02
i am like $1000 dollars short of getting an 02 + full size with nice miles, so this one may just turn into a flip, then i'll have enuf to go full size
and i have always been tried and true chevy man, my first car was a 71 monte carlo with a 402 big block, but i had my dads ranger 2 wheel drive after he passed and it wasnt bad,
i have had 3 chevy s10 blazers, and the 4.3 sucks for gas milage
this 4.0 should do better ????

but bottom line, this is the most value i could get for the loot i have

heres the kelly blue book i just did

02 ranger, 4.0 v6, 90,000 mi., supercab, 4wd, auto, towing package, bedliner, am/fm/single cd, air, cruise, pwindows/locks, sliding rear window, running boards (nerfs) alloy wheels

private party seller, for the connecticut zipcode of 06226.................

in good condition.............$9950

fair condition ..........$9175

on a dealers lot.........$11,900

Last edited:
That is a good deal on that truck. There's one down the road from me that's an 98 x cab with 139000 and the guy wants $4800. Nice looking truck but not great.

FINALLY !!!!!!
have been waiting for this dude near ken oconnors place to gain control of his deceased fathers estate, owned by a 70 yr. old for the last 10 years.
just got that call, and paypalled ken $4200, pretty good deal for an 02 ranger xlt super cab with 90,xxx on it ????
gotta wait for the loot to clear and the dudes even gonna deliver it to kens shop,
then i'll be jumpin a train to kens place to recover my new toy hauler
busco here i come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...................

30mmkxt.jpg

mvm1kj.jpg

that looks AWESOME! in great shape! it is nearly identical to mine except mine is a 96 and is green, otherwise they're identical haha. mine also has the 4.0 and it gets amazing gas mileage, better than my mom's ford taurus with a 3.8. they also have quite a bit of power, mine likes to spin the back tires if i'm not careful about how fast i hit the pedal. one downside to mine (maybe yours not sure) is the gas pedal is tiny so you have to hit it a certain way for it to go as far as you want it.

EDIT: also, the back seats fold down. i've found that if you fold them down then fold the back of the seat forward, you can store a few things behind both. the seats are pretty much useless except for a kid or one adult so they can stretch out their legs. i keep mine folded away with a few quarts of oil and some other stuff stored behind them.

if it helps anything i have a dodge ram 2500 with a cummins. if it werent for the cummins i would not have bought the truck. the motor might last forever, but with dodge's chassis and everything, its gonna be a challenge keeping everything in top shape around it

it's official, finally after waiting over a month for the dude to gain control of his deceased fathers estate, ken oconnor just paid for my new toy today
$4200 for this 02 ranger supercab with 90,000 on it
i paypalled ken the loot late last week, and the guy delivered it to him today.
kelly blue book shows over 8 for a trade in, and 95 to 11,5 on a dealers lot ????
i hop a train on saturday for connecticut to recover it, and of course spend a few days with ken and gang !!!!!

10mlruv.jpg

b4f85c.jpg

2qd0mxy.jpg

and yep, the mod bug is prolly gonna hit me here too, hopefull i can end up with sumthin like this by springtime ????

v7r2c0.jpg