Do I have my head on right ?

ford88mustang

Sep 27, 2009
I know this is a really noob thread however after I put in my new top end in I'm still getting low compression (60psi). The head looks different than before. It looks like I have it backwards but thats the only way I could get it on. Also the 4th picture I think I am missing a plug But I'm not sure?
blaster3.jpg

blaster2.jpg

blaster1.jpg

blaster4.jpg

Hat plug don't matter. Ur oil pump is in there. However u don't want mud to just get caked in there. What's ur psi on the compression.

yeah, your head is on wrong. and that thing you circled is a dead end (doesnt go any where its bloked off) thats how mime is anyway. is the piston in there right? how about the rings? all lined up?

his head anit on wrong if he dont got a bigger crank and hes runing that spacer plate that could be his problem take that plate of get a new gasket put it all back together see hwat happens then

Last edited:
I think I put in the right size piston. I think it was the stock size. I did have a little trouble with my piston ring compressor. Maybe I did something to the rings. Is the gasket to tall ? Can I just try to rtv the top?

so did you just hone the stock bore and try to put in a piston? what's the piston to wall clearance? you shouldn't need a piston ring compressor either for doing these motors

well then its a big gasket cause if u look at the one pic theres a big shiny thing there and i havent seen a gasket that big but i could be wrong and i thought it was cuz it looks kinda big

I think I put in the right size piston. I think it was the stock size. I did have a little trouble with my piston ring compressor. Maybe I did something to the rings. Is the gasket to tall ? Can I just try to rtv the top?

if u have not bored out ur jug then u still going to be getting low compression, u have to bore it out to the next size and get a piston kit to match that bore.

so did you just hone the stock bore and try to put in a piston? what's the piston to wall clearance? you shouldn't need a piston ring compressor either for doing these motors

Can you give some advice because I had trouble getting the rings in the cylinder.

did you check you ring gaps????

all i do is compress the rings with one hand and slide the jug down with the other