DIY Big carb in A lil' boot.lol DONT cut one up!!! try this!!!

Jan 6, 2011
wichita ,ks aka tha 316 or ICT
I too was on the verge of droppin some $ on a big intake boot to fit a larger carb. I knew that tryin to grind /cut one to fit was a bad move and would crack or leak eventually if not always. Then my lil bro laughed at the idea and made it fit in a matter of minutes following this simple yet effective method.

!. run super hot (burn you hot) tap water over the intake boot until it softens up.
2.After a few minutes turn off the water use a rag or oven mit to hold the intake boot in one hand and the carb of choice in the other.
3.with firm pressure start wedging the carb in at an angle and work it firmly in place until it bottoms out and is in the position desired. (a lil dish soap may help lubricate it but we didnt need any).
4. let it cool and smile about all the time and money u just saved!!!

p.s. we experienced that after we streched the boot out that it was a super tight sealed fit and it seemed to stay a lil bigger so the carb was removable and all . u can check out more pics in my album!

4690-s-34mm-vm-mikuni-round-slide-off-350l-trail-boss-fitted-stock-intake-without-removing-any-material-weakening-i-ironically-its-off-same-quad-i-sold-buddy-60-few-years-now-we-r-having-build-off-all-out-competition-hes-running-pretty-mean-what-i-hear.jpg

Reactions: Zwiser and Paulie B
why didnt i think of that ???? does your little brother play football ????
cause now that you brought this up, i remember putting the mouthgaurds in boiling water, then let coll a little, bite down on them and they took the shape of your teeth

damn beggars anyway,
i throw some, even though i bought the correct intakes needed
it should help someone!!!!!

the heat gun will work well also but be careful w a heat gun they can melt rubber and heat unevenly. water is safer cuz it's only going to heat up to around 210 before it turns to steam and as long the water is applied evenly it will heat evenly.

i took a dremel to mine and that was fine but then i got a sms manifold for free in the airbox deal i got

a little bit of an old thread but has anyone done this and ran it? how did it run and how did the rubber hold up to being stretched out? ever crack at all?

mine worked and runs great so far (still tuning). the rubber is stretchy enough when hot. I did find it hard to do a leak down test with the carb on already. I actually ended up stuffing the intake w/ paper towels (to keep the heat off the reeds) and used a hair dryer to heat it up and re stuff the carb on once it's bolted to the jug.

great Tip , I've done it many times over the years on getting rubber boots to stretch onto joints , carbs etc etc etc . There is a crafty little tool out there called a pipe expander , its used for stretching the diameter of exhaust pipe after you heat it so you can slip one side into the other so your exhaust doesnt have any changes to the diameter going back. they come in many sizes and just get some really hot water and let the boot soak for about 10 minutes and then with a few cranks open up the mouth of the boot and let it sit there and let it gradually cool off . The gradual part is the most important , if you shock cool it by dropping it in ice water you will get cracks in it . you may have to do the process 2-3 times , but by the time you are done , the boot will be un-damaged and ready to go . also by doing it this way the carb will be easier to remove for leakdown tests and modifications etc .

It will work and I'm not sure if it's relevant or not, but make sure after you stuff the carb in there that the rest of the intake doesn't constrict or narrow after you have the carb in all the way. I think the mouth of the venturi sticks in far enough that it doesn't matter, but you don't want to have a 34mm carb sticking in then having an area of 26mm in front of that opening as it will essentially negate the purpose of having a 34mm carb. :(