Debris in crankcase

ntense77

Apr 23, 2009
My cylinder and head are in the shop after I discovered I had a hole burnt in the piston. There was some debris from the piston in the cylinder (the consistency of sand). And my mechanic advised that I probably have debris down inside the crank case as well and said that I need to remove it before running the engine. He advised that I crack the case open to clean out any debris before it ruins the bearings. My question is, How easy is it to (crack the case open?) I already have the engine pulled out. Is it as easy as taking off the magneto off and unscrewing the phillips screws and pulling that side of the case off? Would this supply the acess I need to properly clean it out, or would I need to keep disassembling? What tools would I need?

Thanks,

its actully a lot more difficult that that.
i would turn the motor upside down and blow some compressed air threw it, Then maybe clean it out with kerosene.
how does the crank turn?

But i mean if you really want you can split the cases, its a big job,hopefully someone chimes in and give you info about splitting the cases because i dont want to type it all out haha

You're probably better off splitting the cases and putting in new crank bearings. Why risk ruining them?? They could already be on their way out for all you know.

It's not easy, but if you're mechanically inclined and have a good shop manual you can do it.

The crank still moves fine but seems to take alittle more effort to turn sometimes. Its my wifes bike so I'd hate for it to lock up on her while shes hauling. Do you have to do anything on the clutch side of the case to get the crankside off? I was thinking that If I could just get inside the case Id be able to clean it all up without removing the crank...

To split the cases your gonna need a flywheel puller, an impact wrench (or some type of holder and a breaker bar) and then an understanding of how the whole engine/trans works and is put together cause your gonna have about 100 pieces lol. Its not bad...just a big process. I would say if you wanna take the lazy way fill your crank with solvent or kerosene and spin you crank like 20 times then dump it out...do this like 10-15 times and then let it dry and blow any dust or remaining small pieces out...that should PROBABLY save your crank bearings depending on how much grit your startin with down there

After reading all your replies it seems like I'd be taking a chance if I just try to rinse it out. I am spending over $500.00 on the cylinder and head work so I think I should probably do it right and split the case. Otherwise I think I risk causing more damage and maybe even injury if it locks up on somebody. My mechanic doing the cylinder work said he would guide me through the lower end rebuild if a paid a reasonable shop fee. That seems like an offer I should take. That way maybe I could do it on my own next time. I appreciate all your help. Thanks!