Cylinder port polish

I brought mine off eBay USA and had it shipped to KOR in USA who machined it and then sent it to me in New Zealand. Easier then me shipping my one to him and saved shipping cost and time.

Attachments

• IMG_20170121_172040476_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170121_172040476_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20170121_172145310.jpg
    IMG_20170121_172145310.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 252
  • IMG_20170121_184033685.jpg
    IMG_20170121_184033685.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 228
The burn on the squish area suggests the gap is too large.

You might need to tighten up your squish band a bit.
220px-Squish_band.svg.png

Measure it with 0.060" lead solder through the sparkplug hole like this:
image014.gif

You want to push the solder out to the edge of the cylinder and turn the flywheel over by hand.
Or you can take the head off and do it more accurately like this:
squish_lo.jpg

Measure the squished solder to get the gap:
squish2.jpg

Should be minimum 0.020" to maximum 0.050"
Ideally 0.030" to 0.040"

You can use thinner gaskets (cut basegaskets out of paper, headgaskets out of aluminum)
or skim the head or cylinder to tighten it up.

Reactions: Tommyz125
Glad I saw this !!
I have noticed that Blasters seem to run a slightly tighter squish than Banshees.
Anyone have a idea why?
I know the pistons have different dome profiles, and obviosly spin at slightly less rpm.

image014.gif

You want to push the solder out to the edge of the cylinder and turn the flywheel over by hand.
squish_lo.jpg

squish2.jpg

Ideally 0.030" to 0.040"

You can use thinner gaskets (cut basegaskets out of paper, headgaskets out of aluminum)
Piston crown are not flush to cylinder deck, is a paper base gasket reliable? Head gasket made of foil paper?

image014.gif

squish_lo.jpg

squish2.jpg

Ideally 0.030" to 0.040"

Stock head gaset is .035 thick so if the piston is flush to deck is should be ok, if i cant make it the combinaison of thin base and head gasketis good (best is to skim cylinder ...)

IMG_20170124_191858379.jpg
IMG_20170124_191858379.jpg

image014.gif

squish_lo.jpg

squish2.jpg

Ideally 0.030" to 0.040"

Super f*ckin thin, hope it will pass leek down test, and really hi temp

Last edited:
Super f*ckin thin, hope it will pass leek down test, and really hi temp

I've never tried a foil headgasket, but I have used aluminum soda cans and teflon tape on other 2 stroke air cooled engines. Twist the teflon tape into a string and hold it in place with a dab of grease. Works well, about 0.003"-0.006" thick.

Paper and cardboard and even just sealer work well for basegaskets if everything is flat.

Most builders like to make extra squish allowance for RPM.
Blaster come stock with about 0.080" to 0.120" squish.
Even with squish cut down to 0.010" I saw no sign of contact but it worked poorly.

I've never tried a foil headgasket, but I have used aluminum soda cans and teflon tape on other 2 stroke air cooled engines. Twist the teflon tape into a string and hold it in place with a dab of grease. Works well, about 0.003"-0.006" thick.

Paper and cardboard and even just sealer work well for basegaskets if everything is flat.

Most builders like to make extra squish allowance for RPM.
Blaster come stock with about 0.080" to 0.120" squish.
Even with squish cut down to 0.010" I saw no sign of contact but it worked poorly.[/QUOTE
Teflon over the alu gasket?

is a paper base gasket reliable?

Head gasket made of foil paper?

No and NO.
Use an OEM or Cometic base gasket and proper copper head gasket. have the squish adjusted properly by milling the head.
(best is a very experienced special breed using whats on hand in the middle of nowhere, and always testing stuff)

At least remember this post if you choose to ignore it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: best
No and NO.
Use an OEM or Cometic base gasket and proper copper head gasket. have the squish adjusted properly by milling the head.
(best is a very experienced special breed using whats on hand in the middle of nowhere, and always testing stuff)

The head cant be lower as it is flush to squish band ( joeak47 reshaped hemi head) but the piston dont go far enough on the gop of the jug so im gonna mil the deck surface if my aluminium head gasket seem to leak . And i stay with quality base gasket to hahaa

IMG_20170126_203342245.jpg
No and NO.

I have a really good quality base gasket (from my airsal kit) that is half thick as the one on my engine, if its not enough il try my aluminium head gasket ... If i find a way to mill cylinder deck ill do it.

No and NO.

Ha! Awk08 is right. He has me pegged.
Sometimes I forget what is easy for me may not be so easy for others new at this.
With 40 years as a mechanic and scout, I've tinkered and tuned a bit.
Thanks for the reminder AWK...

Reactions: Blaaster
There is a guy on ebay that makes thinner base or head gaskets. They are copper. I have used a few of them from him with different thicknesses for different applications and all work great. They are reusable also, Base and head. Its been a while since I orderd last so i will have to look for the link.

He will do them in either aluminum or copper and whatever thickness you want.

Here is there site.

http://www.coppergaskets.us/contactpage.html

Last edited:
So, just for fits and giggles, I made a headgasket up out of 2 pie plate and 2 sheets of paper between them. I needed a 0.015" gasket for one of the heads I was trying. I fired the Blaster up and drove it around a bit. Lets see how it survives.

Here is the squish test about to happen:
16473791_10154822845855803_1238461278492684618_n.jpg

Head lower right came off, upper left went on.
16426300_10154819055735803_9006597621308473859_n.jpg

There is a guy on ebay that makes thinner base or head gaskets. They are copper. I have used a few of them from him with different thicknesses for different applications and all work great. They are reusable also, Base and head. Its been a while since I orderd last so i will have to look for the link.

He will do them in either aluminum or copper and whatever thickness you want.

Here is there site.

http://www.coppergaskets.us/contactpage.html
I have put one layer pie plate alu as head gasket and thiner base gasket, leek down test passed , engine run way better thunderfast throttle response, ride it 1hour, retorque everything, still pass leekdown test !!