Cylinder damage

jones191

Jun 2, 2015
hello just looking for an opinion on this cylinder weather it would be safe to put a piston in? It has damage at the port will this eat the rings and piston alive or would it be safe to use with a good break in? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 173
I got a new piston when I bought the quad so don't want to be spending more money if I don't have to as on a tight budget!

Measure the bore for out of round and taper, see if the marks will clean out without going oversize on specs and chamfer the ports.

It may be able to be saved!

There's no scors on the barrel it's only oil...the only damage is at the port. If I leave a longer run in period for the rings to seat will this do? Thanks for the help

Because it's not really worth it for me to rebore and a new piston because they are expensive over here and have already got a piston thanks

if you don't do it properly the first time,how do you plan on going back and doing it a second time when it lasts only a few moment before failing again?? Why is it that almost everybody wants to do things twice instead of properly the first time? I see port chamfering that is non existent in those photos! That cylinder bore is worn out. When the chamfering has "gone away", I guarantee you the cylinder will need a bore to the next over size.

You mentioned that you already have a new piston (what size?). That's fine, but what about new gaskets? Or were you planning on using the old ones again? As a general rule with two stroke engines, any ports that have damage, need repair...period. What caused the damage to the port in the first place? That's a transfer port, did you suck a bolt or washer through the intake, into the bottom end, then up through the transfer port? Why did you take the cylinder off? Was it running when you got it? Do you have (good) pictures of the piston and cylinder?

We can help you get it done right, but we need more information first.
Don't get sucked into the..."I gotta ride now, I'll fix it later" syndrome.

This is another blaster I have im based in Ireland. I bought the quad broken. The last owner just had the cylinder rebored and a new piston in until some of the crank/crank bearings broke loose and transfered up into the cylinder and caused the damage to the port. The cylinder is perfect apart from the port damage it is 66.5mm. I since have got a new crank and bearings and the new piston which came the quad and have run over budget and out of money for this project. Thanks