Crankcase Oil

swilke22

Apr 17, 2011
Palm Bay Florida
Ok, I see alot of post on this topic and was wondering what oil would work better for Florida riders.. 10w-40 Valvoline for wet clutches - 20w-50 Valvoline for wet clutches or Bel-Ray 80w???? It is starting to get hot down here in Palm Bay Florida and with having air cooled Blaster just wanted to get some more info.

There are as many opinions about this as there are members here! Some people swear by that expensive "gear saver" type gear lube. Some people think that the factory recommendation of 10W-30 or 10W-40 (which you can actually get your hands on) is best.

Personally, I use synthetic ATF year round.

Well, I used Wolf's Head fully synthetic ATF because it's what my local auto parts store had. It's worked great for me.

I've heard people say only use "type F" ATF before too but cannot find any basis for that statement other than someone tried type F transmission fluid before and it worked so they only recommended type F....

i run ROYAL PURPLE in mine and i race xc its kinda hard to see through the pep hole on the side of the engine but it the best ive ever used and it keep my engine as kewl as ever

I'm in FL and use Roletta 15w40 diesel oil in all of my bikes, including my YZ250 I race 3 times a week. Its good stuff and its only 12 buck for a gal at wal mart.

My friend @ work just told me he puts that in his new KTM...Maybe I will give it a try for 12.00 per gallon sounds like the deal.

I'm in FL and use Roletta 15w40 diesel oil in all of my bikes, including my YZ250 I race 3 times a week. Its good stuff and its only 12 buck for a gal at wal mart.

I run that in my 4 stroke utility quad and it works great! I do find the detergent action of the ATF works well to clean the clutch particles out better as the blaster clutch takes a LOT more beating than the bayou clutch.

Rotella should work (maybe a little thick for winter time) because that's basically what Yamaha recommends... 10W-30 non-energy conversing motor oil. Just MAKE SURE when you pick up the rotella bottle that you look at the certifications on the back! If it's an old bottle, they weren't necessarily rated for wet clutches. The newer bottles have JASO MA rating on them, that's the rating for wet clutches in Japanese bikes.