Crank seal issue...white smoke came back

diesel

Jun 10, 2009
Jacksonville, Illinois
Did a neighbor a favor and rebuilt his Blaster. After I got the top-end on the thing, discovered the clutch-side crank seal was bad. Replaced both crank seals, got the thing jetted where it would run good, and gave it back to the kid. Now he's complaining that after one day of riding, it's smoking white again.

I'm just wondering where I went wrong. I get the Blaster back tomorrow night and I'll be tearing into the clutch side of things to check the seal. Any common mistakes when installing these seals? I don't know what I did wrong. I ran the quad for about eight heat cycles and never had a problem, but the kid wants me to check it out, so I'm shopping for pointers. Any good tools or suggestions for driving the seals in? I just tapped them in flush with a wooden dowel.

err, my advice...tap them flush with a wooden dowl...i really dont think you messed that up, perhaps the case housing where they seal fits was not smooth and thats where its leaking...

is this a good friend or are you getting paid or something? ive read your postings on this blasty and it seems you have been working your ass off on it and had to deal with him and his mom complaining about things. he should just be damn gratefull IMO. my neighbor helps me with my engine and i thank him over and over for it. sorry if i mistook everything and for clogging your thread with useless ranting. I:I

is this a good friend or are you getting paid or something? ive read your postings on this blasty and it seems you have been working your ass off on it and had to deal with him and his mom complaining about things. he should just be damn gratefull IMO. my neighbor helps me with my engine and i thank him over and over for it. sorry if i mistook everything and for clogging your thread with useless ranting. I:I

To be precise, the Blaster belongs to a friend of my neighbor...I don't even know the kid; I've seen him maybe four times. I've only charged for out of pocket expenses; parts mainly. The Blaster was a wreck...to have a shop rebuild it would've cost three times what the Blaster was worth; so I decided to help out. Unfortunately, I have been working my ass off...my kids and wife basically didn't see me last week; I was in the garage every night after work. I'm going to take another look at the quad, but after this I'm done. This Blaster has had a really hard life and I'm not up to the challenge of fixing all of it's problems. Two phrases come to mind...

1) You can't polish a turd
2) You can't make ice cream out of dog sh_t

...and I'm tired of trying. No offense to Blasters in general, just this one specifically.

did you grease the seals? make sure always to grease them or youll continue to have seals go bad

is it possiblr that its leaking bwtn the case halfs, if you take the cylinder off can you see oil in the bottum of the crankcase? oh and does the white smoke smell bad?

According to the kid, the white smoke stinks. I thought about a possible leak between the case halves, but it didn't smoke during the break-in cycles that I did last Friday, and it didn't smoke during the kid's ride last Sunday. There would be residual oil in the crankcase regardless, from the pre-mix oil.

The seals were by Quad Boss. A local shop had them leftover. Maybe I put the clutch-side seal in backwards. I know they're supposed to go in with the writing on the outside. On the clutch-side, I remember looking for writing on the seal, but I don't remember seeing any.

Last edited:
the writing doesnt usually matter, i install them with the "metal" side out, which ever side of the seal has the metal spring around it or metal ring in the center i put it to the outside of the crank, might not matter much but i like knowing that metal can't get into my crank bearings

did you make sure to put the collar back over the crank that goes on before the gear cause it slides into the seal that is a double lip seal crank goes through half way than that colar goes into other half

did you make sure to put the collar back over the crank that goes on before the gear cause it slides into the seal that is a double lip seal crank goes through half way than that colar goes into other half

Collar/spacer is installed and the retaining plate (held by the Phillips head screw) is installed as well.

Just had a look at the quad...not burning trans fluid. The Blaster has a leaky petcock that did it's best to fill the engine with pre-mix while the quad sat for three days. Quick run around the field roads and the smoke went away.

not to cludder your thread but my blaster is blowing white smoke too.....and oil also leaks from under the motor. A thought it was coming from the drain plug but after reading this, could it be leaking between the two case halves causing white smoke? there's more about the problems with my quad in the "stator...FINALLY" thread in engines. Thanks for any help.

yeah it could be the casings are not flat, have you tried flatting them on a taped down piece of sandpaper on glass? i know mine was leaking oil underneath just below the exhaust, but it was straight from the crank to the outside. also you could try genuine yamaha seals. maybe the alloy is not smooth where they fit in, clean up the face they seal against perhaps

The stench of trans fluid is pretty bad. It would be noticeable. Not to mention, as the quad warmed up the trans fluid would flow easier and the smell/smoke would get worse as the engine burned even more trans fluid. If it's a case of your engine being filled up with fuel, the smoke shouldn't stink, and a quick run through the gears will help clear it up.

The stench of trans fluid is pretty bad. It would be noticeable. Not to mention, as the quad warmed up the trans fluid would flow easier and the smell/smoke would get worse as the engine burned even more trans fluid. If it's a case of your engine being filled up with fuel, the smoke shouldn't stink, and a quick run through the gears will help clear it up.

well I didn't notice the smeel of trans fluid, so it may not be that. But I ran the blaster for a good 5 minutes and it never cleared up. But I also wasn't able to take it through the gears because it won't even rev out enough.
This quad did sit awhile before I bought it. Do you think it could have drained fuel in there causeing this? How can I fix it?

In the case of the Blaster I rebuilt, the engine wouldn't rev out because I installed a main jet that was too big (rich). The stock main is a 230. The main I was trying to run was a 250. As soon as you're able to get the engine RPM's up, you should be able to clear out the smoke. If the smoke doesn't have an obvious unpleasant odor, then I'd say it's just residual pre-mix oil in the crankcase...not transmission oil (which stinks).

ok, so I should check the jetting and make sure it's a 230 main (my blaster is all stock) and then after the rejetting it should rev out and after riding the oil should slowly burn out of there?