Crank nut

Gotdents

Feb 9, 2010
Splitting the cases on an 01 blaster. I can't get the nut off the gears on top of the crank ( right side). Any chance this is a reverse thread.

Welcome to the site bro...

Also you mean the main drive gear off the crank the one with the one gear ontop of the other?

This one
photoMA27262461-0004.jpg

NO, not a reverse thread.. need an impact wrench, or a crankshaft locking tool.. best to leave the cylinder on with the piston if using an impact as it will keep the con rod from getting smacked around..

Do Not TIGHTEN IT WITH THE IMPACT WRENCH>> get the locking tool and do it with a torque wrench, u get things WAY too tight wothout realising with an impact wrench..

I think the technical term is crankshaft nut..

NO, not a reverse thread.. need an impact wrench, or a crankshaft locking tool.. best to leave the cylinder on with the piston if using an impact as it will keep the con rod from getting smacked around..

Do Not TIGHTEN IT WITH THE IMPACT WRENCH>> get the locking tool and do it with a torque wrench, u get things WAY too tight wothout realising with an impact wrench..

I think the technical term is crankshaft nut..

This is some great advice bro.
Have some rep points...........

That damn nut ruined my life for about a week. IM 240 lbs and kept thinking i could get it loose and finally i did. Without power tools i ended up using a two foot long breaker bar that i stuck inside a 1 foot long piece of pipe i had in the garage. A little leverage helped but i would recommend an impact wrench.
. This video on rockymountainatv.com might help too

Last edited by a moderator:
i just replaced the crank seals on mine and i just put my holding tool on the stator and had no problems loosening the nut. if you dont have your stator on you will have to use a impact wrench and loosen it by using short burts of the trigger hope that helps.