Cracked Crankcase?

jsl0181

Jan 25, 2009
Wixom, MI
First off I would like to thank everybody on this forum for all the great info that has been provided. It has been a major help for me in the past. If this question has already been asked and answered, I couldn't find. I was up til' 5am this morning looking everywhere. Anyways my ? is just as thetitle states, I am in need of some detailed pictures of the inside of the left side crankcase. The reason I ask is I picked up a CHEAP blaster ($50) with a fried piston. When I drained the oil I noticed alot of gas and seems to have been spitting oil out of crank breather. While inspecting the inside area where the crank rotates, it looks as if on the left side right where the two halfs of the case meet towards the top may have a crack. Possibly from the piston skirt breaking and getting wedged in between the crank and the crankcase? The "crack" looks to be about 1/2" long and just wide enough that I can fit the tip of a small flat head screw driver in it. Is is possible to "patch or weld" it, or do I need to try and find the left half of the case. I would like some more info before I split the case, seems kind of like a big undertaking. If so anybody have the half I need? Thanks in advanced for any input on this subject.

Well just to update the thread, I split the case last night and was rather surprised by how easy it was. Anyway I have enclosed pictures of what I found. My fears where confirmed as the inside of the crankcase is crack pretty bad IMOA. I am wondering what you guy's take is on this, Fix or try and find a new half of the crankcase?

Attachments

• phpvxgTxKPM.jpg
    phpvxgTxKPM.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 164
  • phpuRZkKjPM.jpg
    phpuRZkKjPM.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 172
I have looked everywhere I could think of and cant find one anywhere. I can find the right side all day long, but no left. The thing that sucks is that mostly the bottom ends are sold with tranny and I dont need to pay for that, mines fine. Any other suggestions where to find them CHEAP.

Mine cracked at the same spot. I had it welded and no problems since. My gf at the time her grandparents owned a welding shop and welded it for me but they said it would cost around 50 bucks.

i would try weldin it but if you want you could buy a new left half or a whole bottom end,then that one could be a back up for parts

Thanks for the reply's. Busted Warrior- did they bend the piece back into place or just leave it seperated and fill in the crack with the weld? My dad is a welder and I talked to him last night about it but he is recovering from hip replacement so he is out of commission for awhile.

Thanks Again

I would rather just buy a new/used half and be done with it, but theres this problem: I think there maybe a hole in my wallet, cause there anit sh*t in there! Funds are very tight and I only paid $50 for the whole quad and dont want to start a money pit just yet (I know it will be eventually) . So I think I may just try and weld it unless i can find a used one cheap. Like I stated before, I am having a hard time find a used one and a new one cost $200+ for just the half I need. By chance does anybody have (or know somebody) a junk lower end that they want to part with CHEAP. I tried posting a new thread in the "WANTED" section on here but says I dont have permission, dunno why.Anybody else that has welded or patched theirs please let me know how it is or has held up. Anyway I have rambled enough.

I would rather just buy a new/used half and be done with it, but theres this problem: I think there maybe a hole in my wallet, cause there anit sh*t in there! Funds are very tight and I only paid $50 for the whole quad and dont want to start a money pit just yet (I know it will be eventually) . So I think I may just try and weld it unless i can find a used one cheap. Like I stated before, I am having a hard time find a used one and a new one cost $200+ for just the half I need. By chance does anybody have (or know somebody) a junk lower end that they want to part with CHEAP. I tried posting a new thread in the "WANTED" section on here but says I dont have permission, dunno why.Anybody else that has welded or patched theirs please let me know how it is or has held up. Anyway I have rambled enough.

wow i have the same problem with my wallet, mabey we kin start a how-to thread on how to fix this "hole" in our wallets I:I

If i was you I would leave that piece of metal there and weld it back then use a die grinder to grind you mess off..Ive seen some guys weld holes in pistons and they were fine for how long IDK ? I had a head off a honda 75 (i think) 4stroke dirt bike welded near the vavle and i ground it down smooth and its been running just fine for a couple of years.....I helped a bud out on the dirt bike for his kids that is.....

just tak some vice grips and very lightly clamp the two together and tac it with a tig welder and take the clamps off and weld it do both sides then file them down

I may have just gotten lucky yet again. A member on here may have what I need. Man, I love this site. I am defintely going to donate to support this great site! Yet again thanks to all for your input.:D