cracked crank case help!!!!

jkimbrel

Sep 19, 2012
i was out ridin yesterday hit some mud so pinned it to make it threw some how my chain popped off n some how hit the shift rod comeing out the crank case n cracked all the way around the shift rod ... please help was wondering if that alumi weld from harbor freight works??

The alumiweld from harbor freight DOES WORK for certain problems. Unfortunately, the material that's made out of (mostly zinc) expands and contracts at a different rate than aluminum and large repairs don't fair well while they cool off.

I've found the material works best if the repair area is rather small and it sounds like your needed repair is beyond the scope of the "brazing" rods.

slickerthanyou....how much they run for the case? and so i couldnt weld it at all?

Oh it's weldable if you know how to weld cast aluminum, preferred method is a TIG, but a nice 220v mig can work. Must be preheated.

Pm sicivicdude he is the case repair guru! B)

I've been looking for a nice 220V mig and a spool gun lately..... trying to trade a blaster for one, actually.

I'd like to give some cast aluminum a try with a spool gun and see how it goes. I can imagine for large fill amounts it would work really well, trick is getting it to start taking in the first place. Cast is nasty crap and doesn't like to be forced to do much of anything :(

The spool gun is very hard to find a good heat setting at least for me it was, I could weld aluminum it will hold but isn't very appealing to the eye, then ya try to make another pass to clean it up and just was hard to get right IMO!

Yeah, I was thinking that it would be beneficial to make the "first pass" with the tig welder and then fill any big holes with the miggy from there.

Like if there's a quarter sized hole in one case half, make the first round with the tig welder to "break up" the first layer and get good aluminum down and then add on more and more material to fill the hole with the mig welder and spool gun. I think it would speed up filling operations versus sitting there plodding along with the tig welder one dab at a time. Plus, I'm the biggest kid ever and LOVE to play with new toys. I:I

To the OP, you can give the alumiweld brazing rod a shot. I've used it before with mediocre results (some positive, some not so much) but in my opinion, the problem you have is beyond the scope of what the alumiweld can handle.

did do the alumiweld worked great n made a home made braket to stop if from ever breaking again untill i feel like changing the case lol thanks tho guys

Wakin up n goin ridin with the guys tomorrow then home for family time n gettin fat off food n beer sounds good to me!!!!

I was going in depth with my blaster and found that, that same thing happend to the previous owner with the shift rod and someone did a hell of job welding it..... lets hope it works out as good as it looks