Confused About Jetting

Xoaie

Jul 26, 2008
Hi~
I am looking for help with my 2001 Blaster. When I got it it was bored 80 over and has bigger jets in it (jets form a banshee is all I was told and I don't know how to tell the size).

It has always been a great running maching. Like clockwork it has always started on the first or second kick cold and first kick warm. (For most people ~ I myself am a 115lb stick wimp, so sometimes it took me 2 or 3 times to kick it cold but it always started on the first kick warm.) Some times it would idol hard when it was warm or "pop". But that is it~ lots of pep, sounds great and runns smooth.

Then, I allowed my son to take it riding with a friend of mine and when they brought it back they said that it was reving high, running hot and starting hard so they parked it and brought it back~ with no gas in it which is probably the real reason they parked it. It sat after that for a couple weeks untill I had time and money to deal with it.

When I finally got to it, it started hard (I had to pull it and pop the clutch), but then after that it started hard and would rev high when it was idoling, but as soon as you put it in gear it would calm down to normal and run fine for the most part. Just a little less peppy than usual.

I checked the plug, cleaned out the air filter and carb (I didn't touch the air jet on the back of the card or the main jet in the bottom I just removed the nut and sprayed out). The air filter was nasty, but none of the rest of it looked bad at all.

When I got it back together, A friend of mine kicked it and it started up after about 6 or 7 kicks and ran great, but the idol screw/jet is about closed. I rode it for a min, got it upto 3rd and it ran like it always had. I turned it off and it started right back up on the first kick I rode it for a min and parked it. Then about an hour later I tried to start it again and couldn't. (Remember I am not She-Ra) Then later when a friend of mine stopped by I had him try and kick it and it started on the 5th kick but wouldn't idol well.

I am guessing that the jets or air mixture needs to be ajusted. Or maybe my plug is too small. I run a 7 in it.

If anyone can give me a starting point I would appreciate it. I am new to 2cycle engines, but not mechaniclally dumb. But I have to admit all the jetting stuff confuses me ~ alot! :-D I know it has to be something simple off~ or maybe that is my hopeful thinking! =))

Thanks~
Xoaie

what are the mods on your blsty? .. umm u may have a air leak of some sort, cause when my head gasket between the jug and the case was spent and it was running a tad lean and would get hot .. what is your compression at?.. and u still running the oil injection ?..