clutch question

trailripper1500

Feb 16, 2008
Hope Valley RI
i just installed my tusk kit and also installed a new ball bearing. i noticed that i can move the plates inside the basket with and without the clutch engaged. is this good or is it bad? the pressure plate is not tight on the friction plates is what i'm trying to say. also, when it is in gear, i can still move it back and forth but it does have more resistance than when you push it in neutral. i'll post pics if you need them.

i dont think the plates should move, but idk. and with mine, theres ALOT of reistance when in gear and the clutch pulled. it runs, but sometimes if its idling really low and i kick it in gear it stalls. not a problem cuz i just give it a little gas now, but should i be adjusting it?

when i adjusted the pushrod, the pressure plate comes off of the friction plates, and does not work right. but when it is working properly, the pushrod hits the case. i put a ball bearing in before i put in the pushrod in. should i do that? because that seems to be making the difference. if i take the bearing out and adjust it, it is fine. i'm just trng to figure out if the bearing really needs to be in there.

Take a look at the yamaha diagram, should be a shaft, ball, then shaft that you adjust your clutch with. The reason you can move your friction plates, you need to remove your pressure plate, and try turning it and sticking it back on, the problem is, its not aligned right to slip into the inner basket. Before you tighten it up, make sure it is snug against your plates, so you dont have to take it back off again.