cleaning the cases

beaten blaster

Oct 7, 2012
upstate ny( plattsburgh)
from talking to awk and ken i finally got my motor fully apart and all tbe bearings and seals out I:I my next question before i go any further is what can i safely soak my case half's in to clean them up and get the grime out?the cases have been sitting a while so there dirty and im looking to soak them and clean them up..thanks everyone for your help

I would think choke/carb cleaner would be safe and effective for both inside and outside of the cases. Maybe just wipe then off with a wet rag or something like that after they are cleaned and dry !

brake cleaner is what i always used

Use a cheap scrub brush and kerosene or diesel. Even a firm 1$ paint brush works. Wear rubber gloves if y don't wasn't your hands to smell, and watch your eyes.

Last edited:
Something good to use is detail brushes at A.Z. , etc. Nylon, brass, and stainless steel in a three pack. Both small and large. Depending on how you want it to look, 3M scotch brite pad to "polish" it.

NEVER use gas as a cleaning solvent.
NEVER use brake cleaner on anything that will be welded , or near where welding is being done.