Cleaning Rust Off FMF Pipe

lbwd

Apr 1, 2007
Missouri
Does anyone know the most effective way or product for cleaning my old FMF pipe (which has a thin coat of rust over parts of it)?

I don't know that the pipe and muffler are stainless steel, so that knocks the steel wool option out. Suggestions, please.

that pipe is prettyb rusted but not too bad good thing you took it off of the preveous owners hands to care about the blaster.

dirtyblaster said:
that pipe is prettyb rusted but not too bad good thing you took it off of the preveous owners hands to care about the blaster.

That pipe is pretty rusted, but not too bad. It's a good thing you took it off the previous owners' hands to care for. :? :lol: :wink:

I agree, billG.
That's what stainless steel is for, but then it may be too heavy or something, or too expensive to manufacture for an ATV anyway.

No it changes color. I have a stainless steel header on my civic and it turns blue and gold with lots of heat. Thats what i dont like about it.

That's some low-grade stainless steel. Flowmaster uses cheaper stainless steel, cbaber, otherwise their exhaust would be too expensive to mass-produce. The exhaust and tips on my car are thicker and higher grade, therefore they don't change colors. :lol:

I used Steel Wool.
I also found out that the FMF pipes are nickel plated, not stainless steel. It's cheaper to make and lighter weight. Oh well. At least I'll get some more power with this old pipe.

It would be nice, but I used WD-40 and only cleaned a slight bit of rust off. I didn't want to mess it up or spend too much time on it. It's on my YouTube error video though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was worse than that. Believe it or not. I used some stuff Called Nevr-Dull. It works wonders. You can pick it up at any automotive store. Its a wadding type material made by Eagle One. Im not saying my pipe looks brand new but it is damn close.

I just won some PT mids off ebay. Ill have to do a write up when i clean them. Itll be next week sometime. I should be getting my g-force axle in soon too so ill do a writeup on that as well.