Circlip came loose

jones191

Jun 2, 2015
So after a full rebuild top and bottom one of the piston circlips came loose and as you would imagined ruined the cylinder and piston. The crank was also seized because of this...after removing the engine bolts and trying to split the two cases the crank came loose again. Am i best off to keep on splitting them and clean out the bearings etc? The con rod seem to be all good from what i can see...it never seized just the crank itself. Any help is much appreciated tks.

By the sounds of it you may have bearing damage. I would certainly split the cases again and see what's going on.

A very respected builder once told me that wrist pin grooves in the cylinder do not affect performance enough to even matter. As long as the damage is lower than the top of the exhaust port, it will not affect compression at all.

i want to see it pics?
make sure circlips opening faces up or down not sideways.
when i bought my last blaster one of the clips was about to fall off as well.
i believe it was because it was over heating but im not positive seeing how it was newly aquired lol:)

Split the cases, inspect the bearings for damage and replace if needed.

Even a slight damage to a bearing will quickly escalate and may cause catastrophic damage down the road!

Vertical grooves in the cylinder wall may upset oil migration in the crosshatching if they are in the area of ring travel!
Below the rings they may present no problems.

Last edited:
Were the cir-clips installed properly ? The open ends of the cir-clip should face down.However if the piston has a notch, the ends of the cir-clip must not end there. More like @ 7 and 8 clock.

There are two vertical groves running from the base of the cylinder to the port and a split nick at the top of the port....i take it this will need a rebore? thanks for all the advise.

Take/ship it to your builder. If your builder tells you that it has to be bored till the grooves are gone, find a new builder. If it was a fresh bore shortly before this, it may just need a hone and a new piston. Let your builder evaluate it and make the determination.

The crank is another story. It probably needs a full rebuild or replace.