5.28 - 7.92

Stator Ohm Test:

Source x 100
Black/Red Black
192-288

Pickup x 1-10
White Red/Black
16-24

It says if ignition coil doesnt test properly to replace it. It says if the stator doesnt test properly replace it. It says replace CDI if still no spark/wont run and everything else tests out properly.

I just dealt with this.

Heres what I did.

I took a digital multimeter to the orange wire on the coil while a buddy kicked it. I grounded the DMM to the black coil wire (bike chassis ground), and I unplugged the orange wire and connected my positive terminal to the side that comes from the bikes wiring harness (it comes off the CDI box).

I had my buddy kick the starter, and I was getting weak numbers (1-3 volts - should be closer to 12)

I then ohmed out the stator wires. Black and Black/Red is one side (Source coil) and White and Red/Black is the other side (Pickup).

My pickup coil was in spec, but the source was out. I had suspected my stator was suspect when I got my bike (it didnt work when I got it), I had already bought one off someone on here. So, I ohmed out the new stator. Oddly enough the source coil was on and the pickup coil was off but I threw it on anyway.

Bike fired up on the first kick after replacing the stator.

If your woodruff key was broken, your bike would make voltage, but it would make it at the wrong time, so the ignition timing would be out far enough to make it fire late or early. So, if you measure a decent voltage number at the coil on kicking it (remember, unplug the orange wire, and measure the side that comes from the CDI box, not the side that goes to the coil) its probably your woodruff key. If the voltage is LOW like mine was, its most likely your stator.

If your voltage is ON, and your woodruff key is GOOD, and you still cant get it to start, it could be your ignition coil, but word of note, I used the manual for troubleshooting on mine. It goes down this list. It says to replace anything out of spec. So it has you check all this shizz. It has you check the key switch, the main switch, the ignition coil (primary and secondary) then the Stator.

My ignition coil didnt test out properly, so I bought one from Yamaha and guess what LOL, the new coil didnt test out properly either, and they both work FINE.

So, beware of your manual readings. My new stator was off on the pickup coil and it works fine as well.

Last edited: