Check out my piston !

Nov 5, 2011
Rochester, NY
Aright so I was puttin on my new head yesterday and had a chance to check out the top of my piston ... I don't think it necessarily looks bad, but I'm not sure if it looks good either. I looked on Ken's ( O'Connor of course ) website at the "piston death" on the "technical" page and out of all the pics I think my piston resembles the "No problems here" pic more then any other. Here's a few pictures of my piston so you guys can let me know what you think ... Thanks guys !

htsm6w.jpg

wn47b.jpg

The proof would be revealed if you pull the exhaust pipe off and look up the port for any piston scoring/scuffing or ring damage.

A few marks could be ok, it depends on the severity of them. Providing the rings are free to move between the lands you should be ok.

If one is concerned about running lean and detonation, the first place I would look at is where the majority of heat would be concentrated.

The piston crown where is opens up at the port is usually the first give away of overheating, it then grows in severity downward from there.

Blaaster - The proof would be revealed if you pull the exhaust pipe off and look up the port for any piston scoring/scuffing or ring damage.

Ill be doing a leak test tomorrow when I get out of work or Saturday afternoon, Ill be able to check both exhaust side as well as on the carb side of the piston. And NO I have not, nor will I ride until the leak test is performed haha.

Reactions: Blaaster
Thanks I appreciate the compliment as well as the green ! I don't want to fall victim of your " I just wanna ride " scenario haha . . . I'm goin to bed as I have to wake up at 6:30 for work and its already 12:40, I will keep checkin back for opinions as well as to update the condition of my piston as soon as I get to it !

I had a little bit of time tonight to at least remove my exhaust and get a good look up the exhaust port at my piston and rings. Everything appeared to be okay to me, and I pushed on the rings to ensure they were not sticking. Here's a few pictures so you guys can let me know what you think ! I apologize for the quality of the pics not being the best.

281sxah.jpg

2d92o3m.jpg

Haha yeah I definitely need to get all that carbon build up out of there . . . My exhaust port is down to like half the size it should be, I'm robbing myself of airflow/power. I had no idea it was soo bad or I would have cleaned it up a loonnggg time ago ! Between the new head mod and removing all that carbon to open that exhaust port up I should feel a substantial increase in power/acceleration

From what I can see through the blurr, the piston looks fine.

That carbon build up tells me you have been running rich for a while.

I thought the same thing when I saw all that carbon build up but the weird thing is I only have a 280 main in and I'm running a Gold series fatty, powercore ll, v-force 3's, no toil filter, (6) uni box vents and I removed the snorkel. Could it have something to do with possibly having my air mixture screw set too rich ?

Haha there's no Granny riding bein done by me, I don't beat on it ( not all the time anyway lol ) but I ride hard ! I use Maxima Castor Oil at 40-1, ALWAYS 93 octane and anytime she sits for more then a week I drain the old gas and use new. Could it have anything to do with me sometimes neglecting my air filter ? I have also done the diy +4 timing mod tho I don't know if that would have much, if any effect on carbon build up.