Change of plans mikuni-keihin issues

Good to know bro.

But ive yet to get the materials i left for town earlier and took my winter/summer jet ski towing vehicle which is my 96 ford ranger and no more than a couple miles from home the god damned thing broke a timing belt!Luckily its a cheap fix and not too bad to do since its not an interference motor and the tried and true 2.3 pinto motor.

while im posting on the subject of the needles i said i have which is the best choice to start with?Theres a CGL in it as we speak.That much different than the CEL?Im just looking for a base line thats safe to start at.Thanks

all those needles starting with "d" and "c" have been used with some success by a few of us, you'll need to play with them and see what works best for you, starting at the bottom with the correct float height
get it ildeling and revving to 1/4 trottle first with the airscrew setting, then play with the needles and clip positions till it revs/runs good to 3/4 throttle, then plug chop those mains at WOT throttle

take one circut at a time, and it'll tell ya what it wants

Ok I got my truck all back together tonight anyone changing a timing belt on a ranger it aint too bad just time consuming.

Anyhoo went ahead after the truck was fixed since i was out there and the garage was already warm i did the keihin carb swap and ive got more questions (COUGH COUGH AWK LOL).

Ive got a 158/45 CGL needle on the last clip on the bottom and the a/f screw 1.5 turns out.The quad needs fine tuned but from what i seen tonight its going to be healthy and stupid fast!But i dont know if its me and i didnt time it but it seemed like it heated up pretty quickly compared to the stock carb is this normal?I did have the heat on about 75f and with one of the doors half open with the quads ass backed up to it so i didnt die of exhaust inhalation it was stil 55-65 in there easy.I got it idling pretty good about 2300rpm or so and it revs so cleanly and to what seems like the moon!So i decided to take it up and down the road and it revs clean and quick so i made a couple light 1/2 throttle pulls then 3/4 and it seemed to run good still then i went WOT on the way back and i dont know how to explain it but it seemed like kinda choppy but just slightly and i immediately let out of it got it home and pulled the plug and its a cardboard rusty color but on the very edge of the tip on the electrode it was kind of whitish mind you the temps 28f so im thinking in the warmer temps to come ill be fine since theres no way in hell i plan to ride in the winter F**K that!

Also ive decided to run a clamp on filter since we dont ride in water will i need to rejet for the clamp on or does it matter?

So what you guys think?I ran out of plugs on the old ladys blaster doing her plug chops so i wasnt able to do one and to be honest as cold as it was i wouldnt do one at 28f anyways.With this thing reving fine and for the most part running great considering the temps in warm weather will this jetting most likely be fine even with a clamp on uni or the like?If not where do you see my problems being and what will i need to jet up to next?Id like to have the jetting safe for at the minimum 45-50 degrees since thats the lowest my girly ass will ride LOL will this current state of tune with a clamp on do it?

Thanks sorry its so long but im new to this carb and just rebuilt the motors with 13hrs on it so im paranoid.

if it idles and revs clean, your close with the pilot and airfuel screw,
the needle clip on the last setting worries me though, try it in the middle
i don't believe any of us running these carbs and needle ranges (dgh/cel) are running anything but the middle clip pos.
and the rough at WOT and white on the plug seems lean to me, bump that main into the mid 160's and see if it impoves
a quick run here and there shouldnt hurt anything as there should always be extra oil laying in the bottom end that will get picked up as needed
but i wouldnt run for long until properly plug chopped

also...richening that clip to the middle position will richen your top/main, it's still pulling fuel thru all circuts, richen one and it richens all above, thats why we start at the bottom and work up.
so try the needle first

i've also heard of guys having jetting problems with just a clamp on filter, most use some type of velocity tube (2"pvc) to space it back to allow the air to "straighten out" and prevent turbulance

I was afraid youd say that.

Could what i momentarily felt be a rich condition in the transition?

Its no where near looking lean i compared it other pics online and its dark brown on the porcelin tip rusty all over the electrode except the very edge of the tip.But it by no means looks lean from what i can tell and if its just sitting idling and blipping the throttle revs here and there and then you shut it off and pull the plug its wet.I even went WOT ever so breifly in the garage in neutral and shut it off and its still wet.Im seriously wondering if the temps arent playing a major role because in a heated garage it seems right on til you get it in the cold where i dont plan to ride.

My goal is to get it jetted for 45 and up not 28.

Also when i add a clamp on with this effect jetting?

Also when i add a clamp on with this effect jetting?

yes to the jetting in the warm garage then going out into 30+ degree lower temps, that colder air will run it leaner

and what does the ..."when i add a clamp on" mean ????
are you doing this now with no filter on at all ????
you gotta have a filter on there !!!!!

also...the reason for killing the engine at WOT while doing a proper plug chop is so the lower circuts will not "color" or "wet" the plug
so just revving it to WOT in the garage and letting it idle back down is allowing the needle and pilot to effect what your seeing on the plug on it's way back down to idle, as did your ride back to the garage on the first rip

yes to the jetting in the warm garage then going out into 30+ degree lower temps, that colder air will run it leaner

and what does the ..."when i add a clamp on" mean ????
are you doing this now with no filter on at all ????
you gotta have a filter on there !!!!!

also...the reason for killing the engine at WOT while doing a proper plug chop is so the lower circuts will not "color" or "wet" the plug
so just revving it to WOT in the garage and letting it idle back down is allowing the needle and pilot to effect what your seeing on the plug on it's way back down to idle

LOL no sir i have modded the stock boot and intake with a coupler and a peice 2in pvc so that i could continue to run my k&n but i just dont like the way it looks and after seeing pics of the clamp on filters i decided to put my k&n in the g/f's and go with a uni or the like.

So even in warmer temps with a clamp on filter ill likely need to rejet up am i correct in what you are saying?

jetting up for a clamp on seems to be the consensus here, i've never run one myself, so i'm just speculating

i'd just wait till you get whatever filter setup you decide on, and the temps get into the range your gonna ride in to do the jetting, jetting now in the cold will leave it rich once it gets warmer outside, at least you'll be safe !!!!

i still say your close right now, drop that needle clip 1 or 2 and see what happens, then proper plug chop before any lengthy rides

What you mean raise it?The clips on the very bottom position you mean go up?

By the way im looking into the jet needles and i dont understand what the letters mean of the needles i have which is the richer of the 3?

Also im on jets r us.com about to order a few larger jets what do you suggest?I have selected a 160-162-165 think those are plenty with a 158 in it already?

Good to know bro.

Theres a CGL in it as we speak.That much different than the CEL?Im just looking for a base line thats safe to start at.Thanks

I dont know if you tried a needle swap but thats what i would do. The CGL and the CEL will have a pretty diferant responce to your jetting. My blaster ran much better with the CEL but on the other hand I tried running The CEL's on my banshee and it ran like sh*t so i switched to CGL and it ran great so there is a relatively big diferance. Needle swapping is a simple way to see if the needle is causeing problems. Your jetting should be close at 158/45 and possibly a tad rich. If you have a selection of larger and smaller mains go up as well as down if you cant figure it out to dial it in. Remember only change one thing at a time or you will be scratching your head.

I dont know if you tried a needle swap but thats what i would do. The CGL and the CEL will have a pretty diferant responce to your jetting. My blaster ran much better with the CEL but on the other hand I tried running The CEL's on my banshee and it ran like sh*t so i switched to CGL and it ran great so there is a relatively big diferance. Needle swapping is a simple way to see if the needle is causeing problems. Your jetting should be close at 158/45 and possibly a tad rich. If you have a selection of larger and smaller mains go up as well as down if you cant figure it out to dial it in. Remember only change one thing at a time or you will be scratching your head.

I was wrong it wasnt a CEL it was a CGL and i have in the drawer a BGP and a DGL those are the three i have so of those three which do you suggest?

Also with this jetting say in warmer temps and the clamp on filter you think ill still be rich?

I really havent used the other 2 needles you have but its so quick to swap them out i would try all 3 with diferant clip locations. I still think CEL might be the ticket and you dont have one.

stick with the "cgl" on the middle clip position, thats gonna richin the mids and main and give it a try

and yes to the richer in warmer temps and a better flowing clamp-on

Also im on jets r us.com about to order a few larger jets what do you suggest?I have selected a 160-162-165 think those are plenty with a 158 in it already?

I would buy all three just to have them as well as the next 3 lower to cover all bases and throw a CEL needle in the cart. I got tons of jets and needles and they aint cheap. Your cart will hurt you real quick,lol

What you mean raise it?The clips on the very bottom position you mean go up?
i thought you meant it was in the top position when you said "first"

whatever needle you start with or try, start with it in the middle position and try one above and below depending what it feels rich/lean

i say if it needs to be in the very top or bottom clip position, you've got the wrong needle in it

Yea the needle is the bottom clip not top.

Looks like ill be buying the next three jet sizes a uni filter and a CEL needle.

Those of you with clamp on filters and a 35mm carb got a link to a filter that directly fits?Space is looking slim in there and i dont want to experiment.