CDI box upgrade?

Demo4o1

Jan 29, 2011
Providence, RI
www.facebook.com
i was thinking.. i havent heard much about an upgrade on the CDI box on the forum. i see a few ppl that have them on their sigs and im thinking of getting one. my question is:

Does it really offer better performance? (over stock) If so where can i get one for a good price? i saw these on ebay.. LMK what u guys think.
YAMAHA BLASTER 200 QUADBOSS IGNITION CDI BOX - eBay (item 180643424330 end time Apr-21-11 16:56:23 PDT)

RICKS HOT SHOT CDI BOX BLASTER 200 91-02 - eBay (item 190516621961 end time Apr-25-11 12:34:44 PDT)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only supposed advantage of running an aftermarket CDI box is an 'altered' timing curve. You're not gonna feel a difference in performance from the seat, and some people claim their engines have overheated from running an aftermarket CDI. This hasn't happened to me, but it is very possible. In fact, you may experience detonation in your engine and this can melt and/or blow a hole in your piston. Detonation can happen if an aftermarket CDI box advances the timing curve too much on the top end, or too soon at slower engine speeds. A Blaster doesn't have valves to float and possibly hit the piston, so there's no rev limiter in the ignition system.

Bottom line is, playing with your engine's igntion timing is a 'dangerous' way to see a HP gain, so you'd be better off saving your $$ and putting it towards a more proven mod.

If you want to spend money on an aftermarket electrical part that boosts performance and won't damage your engine, put on either a high-output stator plate (which will let you run higher-wattage headlights), or get yourself an aftermarket ignition coil. Aftermarket 'performance' ignition coils don't affect your ignition timing, and they can produce a hotter spark than the stock coil. A hotter spark may help your engine start easier and it can reduce plug fouling. If your engine is jetted properly, the plug won't foul to begin with, but still... You may not see any HP gain with a high-performance igntion coil, but running one can help in other ways.

mine came with the ricks and it went bad. i just got the quadboss because i needed a new one so i thought hey what the hell its not that expensive

yea im gonna have to read up on that bc i never took my jug off before.. seems easy enough. ken is 40 minutes from me so im gonna drop it off and save me the hassle of shipping and waiting. :D im jacking my own thread on this but any tips on removing it would be great. AND putting it back on. i know i'll need new gaskets. what gaskets would u recommend? im TOTALLY jacking the thread 8-|

I personally wish you could find an affordable CDI box for a blaster. With cars, this isn't an issue. Typically, you advance timing more at higher RPM as the air/fuel mixture needs to be sparked earlier for complete combustion since the piston is moving at higher speeds. The biggest PITA is finding which curve fits which bike which sadly brings in a plethora of confusion.....fuel type, bore, porting, what kind of porting, from who, head chamber volume, squish band, plug type, etc etc etc. About the only way to TRULY dial in a CDI box is via a dyno where you can see where your curve is altered and then tune the CDI box to run a certain amount of advance(or retardation) at specific times.......and boxes like that don't go cheap. You would see a noticeable increase in power and I wish it was "realistic" to do it, but at the end of the day, it's just easier to advance it with the stator plate and get the gains you can get. I just went up to +5 degrees today...however I need to check how I'm running, jetting, and read what the plug is giving me in terms of timing info.

WOW :eek: 429 is waaaay outta my budget. i could almost get another blaster for that price tag. thats for like serious racers and all. i think i'll stick to the basic mods :D when i hit the lotto then u guys can bet ur ass u'll me with the most INSANE blaster on the planet I:I

WOW :eek: 429 is waaaay outta my budget. i could almost get another blaster for that price tag. thats for like serious racers and all. i think i'll stick to the basic mods :D when i hit the lotto then u guys can bet ur ass u'll me with the most INSANE blaster on the planet I:I

When you hit the lotto, you will soon realize you spent the equivalent or more than you won trying to win it. :D

i agreed on that for the longest time. but u know the ppl who do actually win, they same the same thing.. fml let it happen to me! so i can build the sickest blaster!! and make it street legal! I:I

i think we all have that goal to make ours the sickest blaster. but i know in 4 strokes the aftermarket cdis make a difference. i have always wondered about on a blaster though. and as for re assembling the top end, make sure everything is straight, the gaskets are the way their suppose to go, and head stud torque to 19 or 20. i torqued mine to 19