case splitting or.....?

HunterDan

Dec 13, 2008
Alright guys, i have thought about it and have decided that i want to clean out the cases incase there is anything in there from my broke piston...i have searched through the website about splitting cases, and came upon alot of posts about just "flushing out" the case?

Some say use kerosene, some say deisel fuel, and some cay carb cleaner.

can i just fill it with kerosene a couple times and then drain it? then blow it out with an air compressor?

Do you think that would be good enough? looking around the case i can see some small pieces of metal, not alot, but some. and looking down into the case, i dont see any metal, but i can see a little bit of oil prolly less than a half inch. i spun the crank and there was some oil on the bottom of it, but not alot.

so what can i do? i know everyones going to say split the case to be sure, but im not sure if i can, and i dont have the money to pay someone to do it.

can i rinse it a few times with kerosene?

ok, so i was just in your exact situation with my banshee, i ended up buying a manual, some gaskets, ect, and splitting the cases, it was extremely easy, just read the manual for what its worth, flushing will do very little good usually, pieces under the crank are going to be trapped there for a little while and flushing it out, especially with oil based products will just spread the pieces out.
also, keep a clean area to work and put stuff, check out my thread towards the end of page 3 for pics... http://www.blasterforum.com/showthread.php?t=8776&page=3

not sure what you should use, but it's definitley a good idea to split them, when the piston in my Blaster shattered my dad split the cases and the peices of piston chewed up the sides of the crankshaft and cracked one of my cases. i had to get a new crank and new cases.

yup, split em. you might have a chunk stuck in the oiler hole over one of your bearings, no good. or maybe a small piece stuck in one of the bearings, no good. maybe some shavings in the rod bearing.....
just search on youtube for bottom end rebuild and you'll find a 3 part series on how to rebuild a 2stroke's bottom end. the blaster isn't exactly like that, but between the vids and the shop manual, you'll be alright. def buy the tools they recommend using, w/o the flywheel holder and puller, case splitter and puller, you'll have a pretty hard time. get the snap ring pliers too.