case repair will this work

rivera82

Nov 19, 2011
I just bought my second blaster, and it has a part that broken, right on the kick start, will welding it work?? is the case aluminum or a magnesium alloy?
here are some pics
imag1031z.jpg

imag1032.jpg

Last edited:
the cases are aluminium and definately not magnesium:) that spot looks like the kicker spring locator hole. so welding there shouldnt be a problem.

Do you have a tig welder or know someone who does? Have you ever welded cast aluminum?

I've gotten fairly adept at getting cast aluminum to take filler (which isn't as easy as it sounds LOL!).

Do you have a tig welder or know someone who does? Have you ever welded cast aluminum?

I've gotten fairly adept at getting cast aluminum to take filler (which isn't as easy as it sounds LOL!).

knows what he's doing when it comes to case welding. ^^^^^^^^.

Last edited:
I just bought my second blaster and it has a part that broken right on the kick start, will welding it work?? is the case aluminum or a magnesium alloy?
here are some pics
imag1031z.jpg

imag1032.jpg

Yes you can weld that It's cast aluminum as others have stated.

the cases are aluminium and definately not magnesium:) that spot looks like the kicker spring locator hole. so welding there shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks I did not know the name of that part.

I do not have a tig welder, I put an ad on Craigslist to see if anybody answer. Any questions I should ask the person that would weld it? To test and see if I should trust him with my case.

That coin intrigues me, why is it there?

The penny is for reference, I put the same pictures on Craigslist, that way they can see the size of the job.

I do not have a tig welder, I put an ad on Craigslist to see if anybody answer. Any questions I should ask the person that would weld it? To test and see if I should trust him with my case.

The penny is for reference, I put the same pictures on Craigslist, that way they can see the size of the job.

You may actually get some bites from folks who've figured out "the secret" (not that there's actually a secret, only a process) and are looking to pick up a few bucks.

To me, the size of the job isn't the only thing that determines the price of the job..... I mean, if someone wanted me to weld two 4' x 8' pieces of aluminum together, OBVIOUSLY then the amount of time, gas, and filler rod would play into the price I gave them. However, getting everything out and ready and the cleaning that the cast aluminum requires to get filler to take and the grinding that the case needs after welding really makes even a tiny job about the same price as a medium size job.

A pencil sized hole is the same price to repair as a quarter sized hole because of the amount of prep and post work on the case dwarfs the actual welding....

Thanks I did not know the name of that part.

Craigslist is scary sometimes! If I were you, I'd be sending it to sicivcidude, it will be done correctly, or he may even do a partial trade of a good half! Pm him, talk a deal! You won't be sorry-You'll be riding!! I:I

If that were mine i would send it to sicivicdude, he knows what he's doing and can be trusted. I would rather wait and have it done right then have someone local hack it up because they "think" they know what there doing.

PM replied. Thanks for the outpouring of support guys. I'm not some sort of magician or anything.... I was just bound and determined after I got my Tig to figure out how to stop throwing cracked cases away and KNEW there had to be a decent process that would yield usable results.

The process I perfectly through trail and error (and a LOT of cutting out mistakes) works reasonable and can be sustainably priced which is very important for it to continue to be a service around that helps us all out by keeping blaster cases from getting turned into beer cans!

Just to let anyone who might be interested know, I'll help anyone who wants to attempt case repair for themselves (I'm not into giving out hard earned secrets to other shops for them to undercut me!) for free. If someone wants me to do it, I generally tell people $50 per case side for general damage (hole between the crank and balancer shaft or hole in the "case saver" area). Unless the damage is really severe (whole pieces of case missing that'll have to be built back up) in which case the price goes up unless it's SO bad it's unsalvageable in which case I'm a relatively scrupulous person and will not waste my time or their money on a lost cause....

Just to let EVERYONE know, I figure it costs me about $25 a case side for the actual repair and finish work afterwards (for cleaning chemicals, stainless brushes, argon, tungsten replacement, specialty filler rod, regular filler rod, sanding drums and carbide burrs, electricity to run the welder and electricity to run the air compressor). If anyone knows a shop (or anyone for that matter) who will spend ~2 hours welding and then refinishing a case half for $25 profit (not including gas to get up to the post office) let me have their number, I'll send all my work their way! LMAO!

Luckily this material is cast aluminum (as stated above) unlike the newer yamaha quads which use magnesium. Good luck welding magnesium if you ever have to! :eek:

Luckily this material is cast aluminum (as stated above) unlike the newer yamaha quads which use magnesium. Good luck welding magnesium if you ever have to! :eek:

I'd love to. I've done the research and don't currently have the $400+ for a yellow fire extinguisher :eek: but I'd like to try welding magnesium cases....

I actually have a pure magnesium bull float (an old worn out one) I'd practice on first. Plus, even the new cases aren't PURE magnesium, they're magnesium alloy which should make the fire risk slightly less.