Carb recommendations?

mike96

Jun 28, 2012
Phoenix, Az
Just looking to see what the community would recommend for a carb for the blaster I am building. I am thinking that something in the 32mm to 33mm will be about right so I leaning toward one of three carbs right now, Mikuni TM32, Mikuni VM32, or Keihen PWK33 in that order. I did take a look at the OKO carbs and for my Kids rides those might do well or if money were an issue it might be okay to get by for the time being. My ride will mostly be used for desert trail riding in southern Arizona with possibly some trips into the hills up north. List of mods I am doing/going to do are... FMF fatty pipe and silencer (not sure which silencer yet more than likely the turbinecore 2), probably go with a .040 over bore depending on what the machine shop says, port and polish, Wiseco top end, heads sent to Ken for squish band and bowl work, reed cage and reeds, other than that just miscellaneous mods to make things run a little smother or give it more oomph, (gearing, clutch and trans/shifter work)... O, also moving the piston down in the cylinder 1mm to clear the bottom of the ports better and have the cylinder shaved to compensate.

Depending on the carb I pick, might dictate whether or not I run a foam/K&N pod w/pre-filter or feed this thing from the stock-ish air box. The frame has been modified so parts of the rear plastics have been cut for clearances issued. As mentioned before it will be a southern AZ quad so water and mud play will probably be few and far between.

Let me know what you think and throw out some suggestions. I am all for saving a buck or two so if you have an idea from something stock that would/can work well with my build then please feel free to let me know.

Mike.

Your present mods do not really call for any larger carby, especially as you use a FMF fatty.

If you were using a pipe that favoured top end you would benefit from a larger carb.

The porting you have may pay some relation as to which carb you use. What port is it?

I use a foam pod filter directly on the carb throat and find that it adds some power there, but must be jetted for.

Its got mild porting done to it. Exhaust was opened up 1mm on the top and it has a nice shine to it. The two larger intake ports were basicly squaired off a little and the bottoms of the transfer ports were smothed out the casting flaws were cleaned up. Kind of a mix between Mcdizzys site and and Kens videos.

So then if you think the stock carb will suffice then I guess I may not need anything special. What about something smaller, perhaps 28mm as mentioned above say from a 85cc bike. The main reason why I ask is that my carb is missing a few parts, depending on what I can pick up a complete carb for compaired to rebuilding the stocker...

OK. Disregard what i said about the carb. The one I have is only missing the main jet. The spare carb my blaster came with is nothing more than the shell of its former self.

Alright, well despite all the recommendations that have been made it looks like the PJ34 that came with the parts blaster I bought a week ago might be going on my bike for the time being... I discovered that the threads halfway around the cap on the carb body are stripped on the stock vm26 (not sure if I did it or they were already that way) and after looking at my spare carb body they are stripped all the way around, so I have no carb as of right now. I am planning on heading over to the only shop that I know of that sells used parts here in Las Vegas to see what they have, but if they don't have a stock carb body or even a used carb off something that is a little closer to the stock size (say a 28mm from a yz80 or kx65 or something) then I might be using this PJ for a bit. That said...

The jets in this PJ I have are a 58 pilot and a 155 main, Recommended???

Thanks.

The jets in this PJ I have are a 58 pilot and a 155 main, Recommended???

to run that 34:
34-36mm intake (ebay/$60)
adapt airbox boot to it ?(siliconintakes.com - reducers - 2.25" carb side to ?" airbox side) or 2.25" pod filter
45/48/50 pilot range
DGH/CEL needle (a must)
148 -155 mains

those are all just starting points, check the carb section for info on adjusting... float heights, airscrew/pilot, and plug chops
I run that carb with 48/DGH/155, you're in a slightly less state of tune and that FMF should require less jetting than mine, but you're also probably at a lower elevation ? which will require richer jetting. (1800'+ here)
so the 2 may equal out ?