Carb Problem?

JohnThornton

Aug 15, 2014
Ok guys I have a 2000 Yamaha Blaster. It seems to have a carb problem and i'm not sure where to go from here. When its sitting and you fill the tank up for one the petcock wont turn off. it just slows down to a drip. But the major problem is it will drain straight out of hose that comes off the bowl. Now the screw to let the bowl drain is in all the way. so its not the screw causing problems I don't think. If you plug the hose it comes out the other short hose by the choke handle. Now when you ride it as long as you stay on it, it will run great. but if you slow down it bogs way down like its loading up with fuel. Also when you go it only slow drips out the bowl hose. When you stop it starts coming out a lot faster. I've tried adjusting the carb and the float. I just am not sure what the deal is. Kinda to the point of buying a brand new carb, but I'd like to be able to fix this one and save some cash. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Sounds like your float height needs set and your float valve needs cleaned or replaced. That's a good place to start.

There are threads here that explain both. I'd find them for you, but I'm on my phone.

Sounds like your float height needs set and your float valve needs cleaned or replaced. That's a good place to start.

There are threads here that explain both. I'd find them for you, but I'm on my phone.
I agree. If the float plunger (little needle looking thing that sits in the seat) has debris in it or something, preventing it from closing, it will over flow. It could also have a groove worn in it. I would give it a good cleaning and rebuild before shucking the money for a new carb. Rebuild kits are under 20 bucks.

thanks guys all great info...haven't had a chance to get to it today may be a couple days before I can get to it. Will update everyone once I get into it...

Put some toothpaste (no matter what flavour) on the Q tip and twiddle it, it removes the gum and varnish from the seat.

ok everyone. Finished the blaster up and its running great. Believe it was a mixture of things. Basically I got a carb rebuild kit and just really cleaned the carb the best I could. Mainly I believe the seat assembly (plunger mainly) was worn badly. Thank you to everyone who put their input in it was all helpful.