carb choice help

schism

Apr 9, 2011
western WA
so i just managed to snag an 03 blaster with the dmc pipe on it. the previous owner had it rejetted for it but to me it feels really fat on the bottom, but since i am firm believer in free breathing engines id love to plop a new carb on it that doesnt have that TORS setup in it.
so my question is.. does anyone make a carb that has tuning needles that are adjustable without teardowns like rejetting? (i have an extensive RC background and the tuning needles are much loved)
for a stock jug that will be bored or ported in the future is a 30mm a good option?
and lastly if a tuneable carb isnt an option whats a good carb and jet kit to pick up for 3000 feet and below?

they make things that are called dial a jet. i havent read much about them but buy a carb from a yz85(28mm) and wala! no tors, and read up on that dial a jet. i think thats what u are wanting

All of the carbs I've ever seen was very easy to do a needle change just pop the top take out the slide and there is your needle. Most have 5 slots for fine tuning.

so i just managed to snag an 03 blaster with the dmc pipe on it. the previous owner had it rejetted for it but to me it feels really fat on the bottom, but since i am firm believer in free breathing engines id love to plop a new carb on it that doesnt have that TORS setup in it.
so my question is.. does anyone make a carb that has tuning needles that are adjustable without teardowns like rejetting? (i have an extensive RC background and the tuning needles are much loved)
for a stock jug that will be bored or ported in the future is a 30mm a good option?
and lastly if a tuneable carb isnt an option whats a good carb and jet kit to pick up for 3000 feet and below?

A "jet kit" isn't needed. What you need are a variety of jets(mostly main and a few pilots). The size carb you want is dependent on what kind of power you want. On a stock cylinder, a Keihin 28PWK is a fine option. Then when you do porting you can do 1 of 2 things:
1: Taper bore the Keihin 28PWK to 30mm.....I believe most all the builders here do that....if not, Arlan at LED does.
2: Go even bigger and get a 33PWK, or a 35PWK if really peaky power is wanted.

Generally on a ported cylinder(generally), a 33PWK is the holy grail carb but they are tough to find and expensive. I run a 30mm carb on my porting and engine work and it runs pretty good. I could(and still might) bump up to a 33PWK which would gain more peak hp at the expense of some low end torque and hp.

well id love to keep some of the grunt on it even if its does cost a bit of top end. if i went with a pwk what would the pros and cons be of the 28 vs a 30mm?
my budget is somewhat thin for the time being, so id love to know the DIY tricks to wake them up a bit more

nice find, and well.. depending on your motor.. you could do anything from a 30mm or so.. up to a 33. a 33pwk is what i had always run on my ported or higher performing bikes/quads that didn't require a huge fuel/air draw. uhm, however, just about any of the pwk airstrikers are great carbs you could use, for sure. Also.. there is a place in the DIY section, that helps with TORS removal. its an incredibly simple process to eliminate that pesky system.

-- and the pros of a 30 over a 28, mainly just free-er breathing for the motor, and gives you a little more flexibility if you plan on doing more mods in the future, you wouldn't be suffocating your engine. the 28 is still fairly small, and for a stock motor pree' much. any mods, you would be best to jump to a 30mm.

Last edited:
well id love to keep some of the grunt on it even if its does cost a bit of top end. if i went with a pwk what would the pros and cons be of the 28 vs a 30mm?
my budget is somewhat thin for the time being, so id love to know the DIY tricks to wake them up a bit more

Smaller carb, more bottom end power. Larger carb will give higher peak power at higher revs.

That's why I said you could get the 28PWK cheap, then after you port the cylinder, you could send the 28PWK out and just get it taper bored to 30mm.

you can adjust the timing to give it more low end for free