carb and/or reed issues

dirtrider604

Nov 14, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
so i was riding around today and everything seemed fined. stopped to take a break, then started it up and started accelerating and then it just bogged down and shut off and i couldnt get it started again. i took off the air filter and noticed that inside the air tube between the filter and carb that there was something inside it. i pulled it out and it looked like broken reeds.
is it possible for reeds to get dislodged and go through the carb??? they werent broken too much either. i didnt think that was possible. i started it up again but it bogged down right away. havent messed with the carb and reed cage yet because i didnt have the right tools with me. i will ty to upload a pic of what i pulled out if i cant on a mobile phone.

any help is appreciated. the details of my quad are in the sig

Its Possible if your motor back fired in such a way when you had the Throttle open far enough , I left a Fresh rebuilt motor outside in the blasty with the seat on but no air box lid and water got all the way into the bottom end of my motor , the carb was closed and the reeds should have been too , but it Still managed to get water all the way down into bottom end

I am interested as to why the backfire occured.

Whenever backfires occur I usually suspect an air leak.

When was the last time the motor was leak tested?

either that, or a sheared flywheel key are the first things that i suspect.

the backfire could've been caused by the reeds failing, and not that they failed due to the backfire.

time to start spinning wrenches and figure it out!

now that you mention it my engine did backfire, but i leave the airbox lid on and no water was involved.

Was just giving my info with leaving the air box lid off during rain , If it backfired then it has an air leak or worse , have you noticed any leaks from the cases Recently ?