Cant get push rod out

FRAGAMB

Nov 1, 2008
Is there some kind of trick to getting the push rod out. I have it all apart and it spins freely inside the shaft but wont slide out. I have a manual but it just says remove push rod can anyone help. Thanks

push rod? please elaborate some more. what are you tryint go accomplish? 2 stroke motors dont use push rods. are you talking about the connecting rod that is between the piston and crank?

take a pair of vice grips and clamp down hard on the rod and use the weight of the gearset and shaft as a slide hammer to pull the rod out. I have had 2 or 3 of the motors I have built with this problem. At some point your bike has been coasted with the clutch pulled in and has caused the ball to weld itself into the end of the rod and mushroomed the end and caused it to become stuck. Replace the rod and the ball after you manage to get it out. Also look at the clutch release lever for damage.

Sorry I should have made it more clear, we have a lot of dune riders here that will ride to the top of Sand Mountain and then coast down with the clutch in at 50 mph and weld the rod and bearing together, I have a collection of rods with balls in the end of them from bikes I have rebuilt. Usually the clutch rod comes out ok but the pushrod on the lever side usually suffers the worst

yes, that is fine. The only time there is a difference in the speed of those two rods rotation is when the clutch is pulled and the bike is moving. Coming to a stop it was designed to withstand, coasting down a hill at high speed not what it was designed for.

Last edited: