Can't get my blaster to start cold

Danny G

May 17, 2014
Hello,
I've got a 2002 yamaha blaster that has a 30mm OKO carburetor. It will not start cold. I can kick it and kick it and kick it, but it won't start. To get it to start cold, you need to spray some carb cleaner in it. It'll run for a little bit, then I can shut it off and it'll start back up right again, first kick. It's got white spark, spark plug doesn't look too bad, and the carburetor is brand new. Is the carburetor just too big? Or does it need to be jetted? if so what should i run with an engine bored 60 over and a FMF gold pipe, no silencer? Any help is much appreciated!!

Make sure your carb is CLEAN. Pull the choke plunger and clean the passage ways. Check your float setting. Make sure the plunger unit is in good condition. I'm sure it may need to be jetted for your engine. I don't know off hand what jet size you should start with but there are others on here that can give you a good starting point for main and pilot jet size.

will need to be jetted, possible that the air screw is closed. and idle is probably way off

do not start your engine on carb cleaner, do not start your engine on anything but mixed fuel (or regular fuel if stock injection is in place)

The new 30mm OKO carbs have been known to be a headache to jet.

There is a thread dedicated to the problemsome OKO somewhere, if one can find it it may shed some light on it.

My oko is an original version, an it jets and responds to changes exactly like my real keihin pwk28, id start with a 48 pilot and a 155 main an jet from there,

Carb was tuned and adjusted when it was running, it runs and idles fine once its started. I can hear it, it'll flood when trying to start.

Make sure your carb is CLEAN. Pull the choke plunger and clean the passage ways. Check your float setting. Make sure the plunger unit is in good condition. I'm sure it may need to be jetted for your engine. I don't know off hand what jet size you should start with but there are others on here that can give you a good starting point for main and pilot jet size.
I'll clean the carb soon, and make sure the passages are all good, its a new carb so I would think it would be good but who knows. How do you check your float setting? The bike runs perfectly fine once it's started, could it still be the float setting?

Compressions good, top end was just rebuilt, I've gotta feeling it's the float(thanks very much Blaaster, very helpful!!!) so I'll check out the reeds, clean the carb and check the float. Will report back