Can I use a vacuum pump instead of pressure to leak check?

Anybody else use a large oil filter wrench to hold mag? I have many as have heavy equipment and dump trucks. Worked great and I suppose would be cheaper to buy than the Yamaha tool.

Anybody else use a large oil filter wrench to hold mag? I have many as have heavy equipment and dump trucks. Worked great and I suppose would be cheaper to buy than the Yamaha tool.

I never have, but that sounds like a good Idea if you have one handy to use. You Still will need the Flywheel puller.

Had a puller that had 4 slots, 2 opposite and 2 at a angle. Not sure where it came from LOL. Just threaded 2 bolts into the flywheel, used the oil filter wrench to hold it and tightened the center bolt. Came right off :)

I grew up taking u-joints apart and putting the needles in 1 at a time from other u-joints. Was pretty much make do with what you have. Now that I have lots more tools ect wonder how I used to get by. Still sit down and look and figure it out.

Had a puller that had 4 slots, 2 opposite and 2 at a angle. Not sure where it came from LOL. Just threaded 2 bolts into the flywheel, used the oil filter wrench to hold it and tightened the center bolt. Came right off :)

This ^^^ is not a good idea. If you haven't damaged the stator, you are lucky. To all others, a correct flywheel puller is cheap, and the only way to ensure no damage.

I to have "improvised".

Ok just did some checking and see that the correct puller pulls from the center :-(. I hope I didn't f**k it up.

Last edited:
Whew. It came off pretty easy. Been there where you crank the hell out of the center bolt then whap the hell out of it with a big hammer.

It's if you use to long of bolts into flywheel, they contact stator coils.

Have had a few that that need a BMFH to come off, not necessarily a Blaster either.

Whats a parts blaster worth? Have a extra frame, 1 front hub w/arms, extra motor that I don't think is a blaster motor that the po sent with it, and misc brackets. Needs new crank, jug to include piston, and head. Runs and rides but after I have been in engine have noticed this stuff and don't want to mess with it anymore. :-( Don't feel right selling as a running bike now that I know how wore it is.

This ^^^ is not a good idea. If you haven't damaged the stator, you are lucky. To all others, a correct flywheel puller is cheap, and the only way to ensure no damage.

I to have "improvised".

I'm with Larry on this one. I've seen hundreds of Blasters roll into this shop and I've seen this done to remove a flywheel. Hell, we even do it if the threads are stripped in the flywheel. It works but you need to be very careful not to over extent the puller bolts so far that they contact the stator. If you're running a tap into the flywheel, the tap should be ground down at the end to make it a bottoming tap so it doesn't contact the stator. I'm pretty sure we use a 7/16 x 20 tap to do this.