Buying new rims/tires

snapz

Apr 6, 2009
mobile al
I'm in the market for new tires and rims, front and back. Got my 03 blaster about 2 months ago and am now starting to change some things. I've changed to a banshee axle and am now ready for tires. I've done some research on here regarding rear tire sizes and it appears that 20x11x8/9 are popular. My question is what size rims can I run on the front and rear and not have to change anything regarding the rest of the suspension? I'm also looking to re-gear so now is the perfect time to do it. Any suggestions on front and rear tire size and gearing combos?

i would get 9" rear rims with 20" tires and fronts, get 20"s or 21"s on 10" rims
18's leave you with little to no ground clearance.
If your buying aftermarket rims get some with an offset if you want it wider.
also gearing really depends on what you want.
Do you want it to be snappy at first and have no top speed?
or do you want to have longer gears and a better top speed?
for the first one, get a 12t front sprocket
for the second one go 14/39 or 14/38?

I've noticed my blaster and my buddies blaster both top out WAY fast in 1st and 2nd, whereas my bro-in laws doesn't. I haven't checked with him on his gearing but plan to. I want to be able to use 2nd gear as right now i'm almost always crusing in 3rd. Any advantage to 21 vs 20 on the fronts?

yea i know what you mean, 1st gear is basically unusable.
i would try a 14t in the front you will like it.
from what i have heard smaller front tires are easier to turn

Thanks I'll try the 14t front and see what happens. What do you think about the holeshot xcr on douglas .190 wheels, 20x11x9 rear and 21x7x10 front?

What type of riding do you do?

Because for mx more accel is needed
Whilst trails a good mix of accel and top

mainly trails around my house but there are a few dirt pits we ride in. thinking maybe should get a good set for trails and maybe pick up a used set for sand and put on the stock rims