Bummer's 1998 rebuild

bummer981

Powered by Smoke & Mirrors
Mar 1, 2011
Rochester, New York
Picked this up in pieces back in February. Got the whole bucket of bolts for two fifty. After going through everything most of the bike is there. It is completely bone stock and on its first bore.

ResizedImage951331051409937.jpg

ResizedImage951331051484905.jpg

Since it had the stock exhaust the first thing I bought was a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer from BigWill. It is the same setup as I have on my 2001 so jetting will be a snap. Got a nice deal from him and the exhaust cleaned up really well.

DSCN0174-1.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

I had 250x sand blast my frame at his job, and they even painted it for me.

DSCN0750.jpg

Just got all of my parts gathered up and ready for assembly.

DSCN0755.jpg

DSCN0751.jpg

DSCN0752.jpg

DSCN0758.jpg

DSCN0759.jpg

This is as far as I got it last night. Found out I am missing all of the hardware to put the carrier on it, not sure if I miss placed it or never had it. Got some bids on Ebay for rear grab bar and the rear skid plate.

DSCN0761.jpg

DSCN0760.jpg

Hope to be riding this at Awks Wild ride so really going to have to push to get it done. I have the motor from this build in my 2001 and it is really strong so no issues there. Should be able to make it happen. If need be I will steal the parts off of my other bike to get this one going.

Nice work so Far , Not a fan of the Yellowish Color , But it Looks Good on there with white and Black ! Not sure if I've seen this color combo on here before !

i'm luvin the color combo, hope to see it in person soon !!!!!!

Lookin good bro ! Your makin some good progress, last time I was over it was just a pile of parts sittin in the garage ... Now its lookin like a nice wheeler ! When she's all together well go put some good hours in on that new build. I think I got 2 extra bolts and nuts for that carrier, they just need the washers that go with em. Let me know if you want em, and/or any help with the build. Keep up the good progress man.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Justin I ordered some new bolts but they wont be here for a bit. I'll take yours and replace them with mine when they come in. Thanks brother that will help me get the rear end in and hopefully to a roller. Will update with some more pics tonight.

Aright man sounds like a plan. I took off today cause I got an interview at 1:30 for another job, so just let me know when you want to meet up for them carrier bolts and well make it happen so you can keep movin forward on the build !

Sweet! Im doing sort of the same color scheme, yellow black and blue.

I had the white plastics which are in great shape. I really like the look of the blaster on the front of the Clymers manual. So I was going for the old school Yamaha yellow and black.

clymer.jpg

Got the boy helping me paint, please excuse the runs. Its all good loving the fact that he wants to help out. Going to try and get the bars on tonight. Got them and the throttle body all painted up.

handlebars4.jpg

throtle.jpg

handlebars2.jpg

Used some polishing compound and a buffing wheel on a grinder. first I went over it with a green scotch brite pad to get most of the dirt and rust off of it.

Yep thats how I did it. Just painted it black, hit it with a clear coat, then took some really fine grit sand paper on a sanding block and took off the paint. Then I put another clear coat over it. What you see is the exposed aluminum.