Budget Top End Replacement for a '94

Lynn Rose

Feb 2, 2016
Northern Michigan
So, like any idiot teenager thrown in to the world of performance ATVs, I screwed up and ended up not knowing that my modded '94 had been changed from using a separate oil tank to using mixed gas. A year of use and a hot day later, it seized up on me 2 miles from my house. It's dead, there are deep scratches in the cylinder and a bunch of abrasions on the piston.

Now, we're not the richest people in the world, not even doing well. I can afford maybe $200+ in parts if I decide to trade out juice for tap water.

I need parts, I love '94 and would hate to sell her off as parts. I also don't want to buy crappy parts that would end up sending me back here or to the hospital.

Checking around the internet has found me a bunch of vaguely described, no-brand kits and overpriced parts. I really need help getting her back out on the trails while not braking the bank. Could anyone help me find a proper set of parts? Please and thank you.

you'll need to take or send it to a shop to have it measured, the cylinder bored/honed to clean it up and buy (or they provide) whatever overbore size piston the shop tells you is needed to clean up the damage to the cylinder walls.
no need for a cylinder, you have 8-ish over bores on that cylinder.
over boring adds no extra power but will restore it back to stock power.

$80 - $100 for piston depending on brand
$65-ish for bore/hone depending on where
+ top end gasket set

if you don't have a good local shop ?...........
well worth the cost of shipping :)
http://kenoconnorracing.com

I screwed up and ended up not knowing that my modded '94 had been changed from using a separate oil tank to using mixed gas. A year of use and a hot day later, it seized up on me 2 miles from my house

no way did it run like that for a year +

I screwed up and ended up not knowing that my modded '94 had been changed from using a separate oil tank to using mixed gas. A year of use and a hot day later, it seized up on me 2 miles from my house. It's dead, there are deep scratches in the cylinder and a bunch of abrasions on the piston.

I'm confused... you didn't know that your blaster had the oil injection removed and was now using pre-mix, however ...after a year of use it seized up?

Huh?

I'm confused... you didn't know that your blaster had the oil injection removed and was now using pre-mix, however ...after a year of use it seized up?

Huh?
Maybe rode about a max of 12 hours. I believe someone in my family back then was filling it with mixed gas, and I ended up putting mixed in after I learned about the mod, too late at that point.

Listen to Awk... Don't waste your money on something your going to have to repair again soon. Original equipment Yamaha cylinders are tough as nails and have lots of bore sizes of life in them. Have it fitted with an oversize piston.

Just want to add one quick thing. Make sure the gouges aren't to deep to accept a .20 piston and it wont need to go further. Might want to get the cyl bored to the next available size or just shy of it, ask the shop how far they had to go (or will need to go) and then order a piston so they could fit correctly. It would suck to order the next size up piston and then realize it just missed the mark for whatever reason and have to order another and wait however more longer... Most the time the shop doing the work orders the piston to the size needed and fits it accordingly. There's nothing wrong with ordering the parts yourself and saving a few $, just make sure its the correct size before hand..

YES! Without question have the piston fitted to a fresh bore and honed cylinder!!!

DO NOT HALF ASS THE PROJECT NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU WANT TO GO RIDE, OR YOUR RIDE WILL BE VERY SHORT!

Do it correctly the first time.

Also do a leak test for piece of mind.

I rode 94 around in deep, fluffy snow before. turned an acre of yard into an ATV track with my younger siblings. Before 2013, it was a Suzuki lt125 and a Yamaha Bear Tracker. pissed off the neighbors so much that they resorted to vandalizing our snowmobiles.

Nothing quite like doing donuts in a cloud of dust, I miss doing stuff like that.