Brakes!

Superdan88

Feb 5, 2013
Good afternoon all!

now i have it running thanks to your advice, i have my next big problem. My Brakes.

the dog of a blasty i brought has been hacked at by someone and i have no idea why they have removed/left bits on this bike.

so..

heres what i have starting from the top-

7F940669-7DAD-42BA-9F32-F802C2E8CF8B-406-0000012F347E7E0F_zps49f235e2.jpg

no resi on the lever?

C77070E3-762D-45D1-8C0C-46ACE82C81F8-406-0000012F392376A3_zps8733e00e.jpg

and no hoses running down to the front wheels

983707AC-2EDF-4731-ABB5-74ADF5CA7F44-406-0000012F41808C1F_zps0907b6a3.jpg

24E3AAB6-7992-47EC-B9B4-F9CE552DCBE7-406-0000012F2F2E291E_zps46d1133f.jpg

i have since ordered a new brake lever, and hoses down to the calipers at the front, is there anything else i need before i try and rectify the next problem?

are there any step by step guides detailing removal/reconnecting of these?

Cheers
Dan

for one i would say wash this thing helps alot in making it easier to work on.

that should be all u need to get these working, u will want to check brake pads also

I have also ordered 3 sets of brake pads, front and rear.

Neither of the brakes on this quad work so I will start by fixing the front and then ill try and fix the rear brake problems!

I will wash it at the weekend, but when I get home from work its dark outside so I will have to wait to give it a quick shower!

It's actually pretty clean compared to how I collected it!

Right.

ive now recieved the front brake set up

i hope it is the correct one as it looks a little different to the one i have at the moment?

FA3386F5-12CD-4B87-9DAD-B926057E3614-406-00000155ACD5ABF8_zpsd086486b.jpg

701DC40E-68F2-42C0-996B-FDEB78FB0374-406-00000155B12AC6F9_zps8ef70f4a.jpg

whats the electrical connector for? parking brake? i can plug this and there wont be a problem im guessing?

regards
Dan

For one, you have a manual lever on bars and you need to install your new master cylinder.
The wires are for brake light.
If there is any dirt at all where the hoses hook up you really should dissassemble and clean the calipers.
Still need banjo bolts and copper washers to attach hoses to calis.
What year is this? Hydro rear brakes> or cable?

i got to be honest, i think it is a mish mash of blasters?

it had 2003+ plastics on, the frames been painted so i cant see the frame numbers, but it came with 2 cdi's.. one pre 2003 and one 2003+.

it has disc brakes/calipers installed but no lines down to the brakes themselves.

hence me trying to get it back to working order, and then i am stripping and completly rebuilding it back to former glory!

the rear brake looks cable operated, but again, it has all sorts missing.

once the front is sorted i will progress to fixing the rear.

if i am correct, the front and rear are independent arnt they? 2 different reservoirs? as there is no reservoir on the rear currently.

i can tell ya right now dan, from your other thread, that is a pre 03 frame, evidenced by the bolt on cdi (or 2 in your case, LOL) and tors brain mounts, 88-02's bolted on, 03+ blasters have a different mount rail up front and the cdi/tors is all one unit, and slips onto a tab with a rubber mount, not bolted.
the single center hood mount is pre 03.
the cable brakes, rear, and the cable lever on the bars also point to pre 03,
all 03+ blasters had full hydro's front and rear.
it appears someone was in the process swapping on front hydro's, and you now have the lever and lines to complete that swap,
as larry mentioned above, i'd be cautious as to if those calipers were ridden on with the brake line/banjo bolt missing and dirt got into the calipers.
definately give them at least a look if not good cleaning inside to get any possible dirt out before attaching the lines, adding fluid and bleeding

as for the rear cable brakes, thats pre 03 also, as should be the axle, carrier and floating brake disc set-up.
another clue to what year frame that is, if this mount for the rear e-brake cable is present, (circled in green) down near the right side footpeg, it's a pre 03 frame ............

8158-master-cylinder-mounts.jpg

after you get those fronts working, here's help for those rear cable brakes......

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFPGXZgjnRpeaPsIp02SuAGawveOw

Last edited:
Oh great! So I have a pre 03 blaster!

Good job I didn't pay too much for this one!

As I have hydro fronts.. Well kind of. There just not working yet, is it possible just to keep the pull cable style rear brake? This bike isn't going to be used for racing, just recreational riding.

I suppose I'll have to start a new thread on that for advice once I eventually get these sorted.... After I fix a whole long list of problems this quad come with.

To be honest... This quad is only good for the scrap at the moment!

Oh great! So I have a pre 03 blaster!

Good job I didn't pay too much for this one!

As I have hydro fronts.. Well kind of. There just not working yet, is it possible just to keep the pull cable style rear brake? This bike isn't going to be used for racing, just recreational riding.

I suppose I'll have to start a new thread on that for advice once I eventually get these sorted.... After I fix a whole long list of problems this quad come with.

To be honest... This quad is only good for the scrap at the moment!

no new thread needed, the hydro brakes, different hood and a few minor electronics changes were the only differences between the pre 03's and 03-06's

and yes, that link i posted above will get your rear cable brakes working, as best they can for what they are.
again........
Cable Rear Brakes. "How to make them work" - Yamaha Blaster Forum

If you have a cable and can get the rear brake to work, then go that route for now, because it looks like you have lots of other things that need to be fixed. If it doesnt work, you may want to pm awk. I wasted about 100 bucks on a full cable, shorty cable, new parts for the inside of the brake and pads. The thing just was worn out or something, it refused to work right. After that i just didnt want to spend anymore than i absolutely had to, so i fabbed up my own brackets and installed a gsxr caliper. Having made my own and taking into acount the cost of the caliper, the deal awk was going to give me was pretty sweet. Of course if you have the skills and know your way around a welder you could go make your own brackets.

O, by the way, i may still have the shorty cable if i havent thrown it away. Its yours if you want it. Sometimes i go awhile between looking in the forum, so be patient for a reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a rethink about this blasts. I'm still going to be restoring her but rather then getting it straight and then stripping to powder coat etc I've decided to strip it back the frame, get it powder coated and then work from frame up replacing every bearing etc.

So I shall keep you updated